Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default electronic hearing protection

What do you guys/gals recommend I normally don't use any hearing protection however I will be picking up a s&w 500 mag in the am and I'm pretty sure I don't want to pull the trigger on it with out something to protect my hearing.

I've tried just foam ear plugs in the past and don't like them hence why I don't use anything Id like to keep the cost of electronic muffs to $100 or less and no ordering off the net nothing against net orders I just want to get something ASAP so I can shoot this weekend

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: electronic hearing protection

I have this one, and I like it:
    http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...dp/B001T7QJ9O/
    Even if not ordering from amazon, you can read the reviews.

But given that you don't want to buy online, I suppose you'll just get whatever your local shop happens to have in stock....

(Mercer County)

When I shoot my 500s I not only use electronic protection; but still use the foam earplugs with the muffs over them. This might be over kill but it works for me.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Delaware County)

My Peltor 6S works nicely, I'd recommend that to anyone:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Tact...or+tactical+7s

(Northampton County)

For your budget the Howard Leight Impact Sports are fantastic. In the $200+ range - MSA Sordins w/ gel cups

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by rodspade View Post
    I have this one, and I like it:
    http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...dp/B001T7QJ9O/
    Even if not ordering from amazon, you can read the reviews.

But given that you don't want to buy online, I suppose you'll just get whatever your local shop happens to have in stock....
    These are what I use and I love them. I wish I had bought a pair when I first got into shooting.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Chester County)

Good thread. I've been wondering about electronic ear protection as well and will check the models recommended. I only chimed in to add that even if you don't find what you want at a price you can afford today, at least get something for the weekend before pulling the trigger on the .500. When I was young and dumb and full of you-know-what I was shooting my .357 mag without ear protection resulting with tinnitus for months, and I haven't been able to hear high frequency sounds in my right ear ever since. Lesson learned, so now at a minimum I use plastic plugs that fit firmly in the ear canal and are attached with a plastic strap. When I take them out they hang around my neck so I don't have to put them down. They're only a couple bucks and sold at most sporting goods stores and wally-world, which is a small price to pay to keep from damaging your ears while you do more research to find an electronic set that you like.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by IntenseImage View Post
    For your budget the Howard Leight Impact Sports are fantastic. In the $200+ range - MSA Sordins w/ gel cups
    This has been my exact conclusion over the past 35k rounds. Indoors, I add the Surefire Sonic Defenders under the electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    What do you guys/gals recommend I normally don't use any hearing protection however I will be picking up a s&w 500 mag in the am and I'm pretty sure I don't want to pull the trigger on it with out something to protect my hearing.

I've tried just foam ear plugs in the past and don't like them hence why I don't use anything Id like to keep the cost of electronic muffs to $100 or less and no ordering off the net nothing against net orders I just want to get something ASAP so I can shoot this weekend
    Why don't you normally use hearing protection? If you lose your hearing you're not getting it back. I've shot with some guys here that don't use hearing protection and it shows. There are several options out there besides foam plugs. You can go to most retailer with sporting goods sections and get hearing protection, even Lowes and Home Depot carry hearing protection. Be smart and protect your hearing.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by vinman View Post
    Why don't you normally use hearing protection? If you lose your hearing you're not getting it back. I've shot with some guys here that don't use hearing protection and it shows. There are several options out there besides foam plugs. You can go to most retailer with sporting goods sections and get hearing protection, even Lowes and Home Depot carry hearing protection. Be smart and protect your hearing.
    x2. I used to go ole naturale while I was in the military. Figured train as I fight.... I wouldn't be wearing hearing protection in theater... why would I in training.

Not even 5 years later, I am FULLY regretting that decision. I am very well known for my lack of hearing. Hearing damage IS permanent, and gets worse with time. I have my annual hearing tests to prove it. I am not even in my 30's yet, and I'm already shopping around for hearing aids.

and another +1 for the Howard Leight's for a budget friendly set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast