Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default selling a civil war reproduction musket ?

Looking to sell a musket to someone in another state. He just told me he is under 18 I told him I would not sell him the musket. He then reply that his dad was going to buy it. Is this okay deal to do this or should I stay away?

(Berks County)

Default Re: selling a civil war reproduction musket ?

I would ask to talk to the dad.

Good possiblility he is a civil war buff and found something he wants, if dad is on board with it and does the purchase why not? Likely on the level, since it isn't a modern rifle or shotgun.

He will have to buy the powder for him.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    I would ask to talk to the dad.

Good possiblility he is a civil war buff and found something he wants, if dad is on board with it and does the purchase why not? Likely on the level, since it isn't a modern rifle or shotgun.

He will have to buy the powder for him.
    It is a reproduction, and therefore is a modern firearm. This is walking a fine line between a legal sale and a straw purchase. I'd stay away.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Lehigh County)

+1 for staying away. How do you know it's his dad and not a friend? Or a sting, trying to get you to sell something. Why chance it?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    It is a reproduction, and therefore is a modern firearm. This is walking a fine line between a legal sale and a straw purchase. I'd stay away.
    News to me that muzzle loaders (even repros) are considered modern. I can and have bought black powder rifles through the mail. Reproduction civil war muskets are no different. This also includes black powder pistols.

As for the OP.....

Big5, would this be a face to face sale? If it is someone from NJ then NO....NJ is one of the few states that treat black powder arms like modern guns. Also, if they want you to ship it, I would say no.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    News to me that muzzle loaders (even repros) are considered modern. I can and have bought black powder rifles through the mail. Reproduction civil war muskets are no different. This also includes black powder pistols.

As for the OP.....

Big5, would this be a face to face sale? If it is someone from NJ then NO....NJ is one of the few states that treat black powder arms like modern guns. Also, if they want you to ship it, I would say no.
    I just looked it up, it appears you are correct regarding the muzzleloader. I stand corrected.

However, a 17 year old cannot purchase a long gun, and I still think that trouble could still possibly arise in the form of straw man.

(Jefferson County)

I just looked it up, it appears you are correct regarding the muzzleloader. I stand corrected.

However, a 17 year old cannot purchase a long gun, and I still think that trouble could still possibly arise in the form of straw man.
    Federal law does not prohibit selling, even interstate, an antique firearm to a minor. They are not Title I weapons - thus are not governed by the GCA or NFA*.

*a few exceptions for some pre-1898 weapons that use fixed cartridges.

So long as the receiving state has no further laws governing the topic - it is legal to sell a pre-1898 fixed cartridge gun, a muzzleloader, or a post-1898 fixed cartridge gun who's ammo isn't available through normal means of commerce to someone under 18yo. ....directly, without a FFL involved.

A reproduction Springfield or Enfield rifle, which are muzzleloading - can be sold to a minor, even across state lines, so long as the receiving state has no issue with it.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 22nd, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

I am no going to sell it to this person that is under age he states that his father was going to buy it. Now I have another Civil war reproduction rifle that a older man wants to buy it, Could I mail that to him without a FFL?

(Berks County)

I agree and that is why I amended my post, it could be on the level, and if the kids dad takes him for a face to face meet and greet it could well be the young man just wants a civil war type gun.

Working with the some pretty mature scouts and knowing some young re-enactors, my judgement maybe a little clouded towards the optimistic side in this case.

The kid wants a civil war musket of all things Not a "fully automatic high capacity loudenboomer 15/47".

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Federal law does not prohibit selling, even interstate, an antique firearm to a minor. They are not Title I weapons - thus are not governed by the GCA or NFA*.

*a few exceptions for some pre-1898 weapons that use fixed cartridges.

So long as the receiving state has no further laws governing the topic - it is legal to sell a pre-1898 fixed cartridge gun, a muzzleloader, or a fixed cartridge gun who's ammo isn't available through normal means of commerce to someone under 18yo. ....directly, without a FFL involved.
    Learned something new, thanks. I think I will stick to modern firearms from now on.

Ian, I stand TOTALLY corrected, and would like to apologize to you, as well as the OP for providing incorrect information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast