Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Unhappy Denied purchase of first handgun!!!!! Help!

I went to the local gun dealer in Pittsburgh looking to purchase my first handgun. I'm a 23 year old girl living on her own, and I refuse to be a story on the news. So I wanted some protection for myself and home. Mind you, I've been shooting guns for years and I do have my own rifle (.223 Remington short action carbine) I found a nice 9mm ruger that I really liked and that i could afford. I filled out all of the paperwork, when they called the PICS, they were on hold for a while, then some lady got on the line and asked what I was trying to buy. He told her i was buying a handgun, and she to him not to sell me one. I've never gotten in trouble as an adult, I've done a few things when I was a kid, (fights in school, etc) but didn't think that would affect anything. I am a nurse, and had to go through extensive background checks, everything came back clean besides a harassment citation when I was 19, I was not arrested for it, or jailed. I wasn't even fined. Gun clerk told me that wouldn't matter. Or when I was 12 my mom put me in a psych hospital, but I don't think I was 302, i don't remember having a hearing or anything. Can anyone give me any insight? Would something from me being 12 years old bite me in the ass?

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Denied purchase of first handgun!!!!! Help!

Sondra as a 23 year old female nurse please do not use a term like biting ass, it just gets my dirty ole mind going. File the challenge and you can find out why. Maybe Gunlawyer can give you better advice. Do you need help appling a bandaide to that bite mark?

(Lackawanna County)

How did you answer answer 11.f on the ATF form? Did you answer "yes?"

There are those who make the distinction between committed (involuntarily) and admitted (which includes voluntary). I believe the term in the question is "committed." I am not a lawyer, however, if voluntarily admitted to a mental hospital, I believe you can truthfully answer this "no."

You can also challenge your PICS denial. The link below is a good place to start your challenge.

Information on challenging a PICS denial

Good luck finding out why you were denied and overturning the denial if it was unjust!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SondraG1990 View Post
    I went to the local gun dealer in Pittsburgh looking to purchase my first handgun. I'm a 23 year old girl living on her own, and I refuse to be a story on the news. So I wanted some protection for myself and home. Mind you, I've been shooting guns for years and I do have my own rifle (.223 Remington short action carbine) I found a nice 9mm ruger that I really liked and that i could afford. I filled out all of the paperwork, when they called the PICS, they were on hold for a while, then some lady got on the line and asked what I was trying to buy. He told her i was buying a handgun, and she to him not to sell me one. I've never gotten in trouble as an adult, I've done a few things when I was a kid, (fights in school, etc) but didn't think that would affect anything. I am a nurse, and had to go through extensive background checks, everything came back clean besides a harassment citation when I was 19, I was not arrested for it, or jailed. I wasn't even fined. Gun clerk told me that wouldn't matter. Or when I was 12 my mom put me in a psych hospital, but I don't think I was 302, i don't remember having a hearing or anything. Can anyone give me any insight? Would something from me being 12 years old bite me in the ass?
    Too many details missing. I would consult a lawyer.

Is your name a common one...like Mary Smith?

If so, perhaps they need to investigate more to determine that you are you.

(Lawrence County)

If you have a 302 (involuntary commitment) on your record then that would prohibit you from owning a firearm. As far as you going when you were 12 I would get a hold of GunLawyer001 and see if he can offer you any insight on this.

(Allegheny County)

I sent out my challenge form this morning, its just really boggling my mind about what I did wrong. I filled 11.f out as no because I do not remember being 302. I guess ill just wait and see what it is. I just wish they could tell me over the phone.
    Last edited by SondraG1990; August 22nd, 2013 at 09:56 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Is your name a common one...like Mary Smith?

If so, perhaps they need to investigate more to determine that you are you.
    I think I am the only one that has my name, unless they are in Germany. But i dont think that applies here. I guess i will contact a lawyer just for some advice, it could be something like a screw up, or it could be something from when I was 12 years old. If it was that, im sure i can have that wiped off my record, as i was only a child. I have my gun on hold, with my flashbang holster. Hopefully everything comes back as okay, if not, looks like its a baseball bat for me until i can get it all situated...

Seems a lot of people are being denied for Physc. commitments as youths ever since pics updated their data base a few years ago.

Did you purchase your rifle from a ffl?
    FUCK BIDEN

(Erie County)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't childhood records sealed? Meaning anything done as a juvenile couldn't be used against you.
    So, does that mean PICS is using juvenile records illegally?
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast