Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Thumbs up Re: Upper Bucks Folklore

What a great post ! Everybody has a story to tell and most of us never get tired of listening, especially about something we can personally relate to.
    Thanks, man.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Upper Bucks Folklore

Greetings,

Manxdriver, thank you for posting the article link. I lived right around the corner from Lower Mountain and Hollycong from 11-87 till 10-2011 and had never heard that story. We walked our dogs up and down B'ham mtn frequently. BTW, Chief Danials in B'ham is a really good guy. Prayers for the poor gal and her family.

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    It was in my paper, then that was in the trash can, then into a red truck, I'm guessing a landfill......

The Intelligencer.. I'll do a search and see if it's archived.
    Found it: http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loca...d1ebdbd9b.html

Quote Originally Posted by jim-analog View Post
    Greetings,

Hey glocke12 , thanks for the cool post! We've been here full time for less than 2 years (had our land for quite a while though) and it's pretty neat hearing the old local lore. I'd be interested to hear any more stories you have.

Regards, Jim

Thats pretty much it for me..I wish I knew more, or remembered more but I don't. I will say that one of my earliest memories of living here was driving through the area that would become Lake Nockamixon before it was a lake, and also walking around in the bottom after all the excavation was done and before it filled with water. Somewhere around here in my house there are probably pictures that my parents took of that..If I can find them I'll post them.

I do know that Upper Bucks has had its share of celebrities living here. Of course there was James Michener who owned property over in Tinicum, but apparently Rod Stewart owned a house somewhere around here, and than there was the Harrow Inne (stone building located where the Turkey Hill is at the intersection of Rte. 611 and 412) which was once owned by Chef Tell who lived in the area also.

As far as the pyramids go, here is a photo I took of that area when I was biking back there this past spring:

There is more to the area than shown, and if anyone is so inclined you can drive through and get a good feel for what all the hub-bub is about.

Also, does anyone remember the "Brickyard" that was in near Coopersburg ? Not really sure what all that was back there but that was another place we "explored" as a kid.

(Bucks County)

There is an excellent book "Our Lost Tohickon Valley" by Pamela Varkony that tells the story of several persons that sought country living for their families moving them to the area of what is now the Nockamixon State Park only to have the state take their residences to make the lake and park. The book has quite a lot of information including the indian caves that are now under water, the small towns and bridges under water, and lots of "way of life" information pre state park. Anyone interested in Upper Bucks should get a copy of this book and read it. If you google the name you should be able to order from the Haycock Historical Society.

One interesting bit was about the cement water trough that is located on the current walking path between the marina and the boat rental. That walking path was Church View Road before the park, and the trough was put in with a Bucks County grant to provide water for the travelers and horses that used the road. It was fed from a spring that also fed a springhouse on a farm just above the trough.

Although the park is a nice amenity, you may have another view of the park when you read the story of the families that were forced out after relocating to the area, working hard on their homes and properties while the fathers still commuted to the Philadelphia area to work, only to have their properties taken away.

Having grown up in the Pipersville area, the trip to Quakertown was quite a lot shorter before the lake and it was sure easier to get from Bedminster area to Kintnersville.

As far as the brickyard, I believe it was the area on Heller Road just west of Quakertown where there are several large bodies of water. I was told the large bodies of water were made as clay was mined from the area to make bricks. The area now is loaded with large black snakes and some fish in the water.

To the OP, thanks for starting the post as it gave a lot of great interesting information from all who participated.

(Bucks County)

I have relatives buried at St Johns & I went to high school w/ a few kids from Kinternersville, Ferndale & Ottsville. The guy I was really friendly with lived on a farm on this dirt road before the lake. I remember his disgust at the blacktop w/ the double yellow line between the house and the barn but at least their farm was still there unlike a few of their neighbors.

(Bucks County)

Good reads boys!!! Keep em comin. I've got a couple more, just want to hear all yours first.
    "The chair is against the wall, John has a long mustasche"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    I have relatives buried at St Johns & I went to high school w/ a few kids from Kinternersville, Ferndale & Ottsville. The guy I was really friendly with lived on a farm on this dirt road before the lake. I remember his disgust at the blacktop w/ the double yellow line between the house and the barn but at least their farm was still there unlike a few of their neighbors.
    There is actually a story told to all of us when we were attending the old St. John's school in the late 1950's about the large flat grave stone on the right going up the walk to the old church. The stone lays even with the ground and I believe it is for a member of the Buck Family. The story was that the reason there was a large crack in the stone was due to the deceased's ghost coming out after dark to roam the area around the church, and getting caught out on Haycock with the sun coming up. In haste to get back in the grave the stone slammed shut and cracked.

I believe I was in 1'st grade in 1957 when I heard the tail.

We also played "Saggie" on the ice when the old Haycock Creek was frozen over (running across the ice until it sagged and you fell through). The Haycock was very shallow behind the school before the lake went in. Full of eels also. I believe our last year at the school was 1960.

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Not sure exactly where in Upper Bucks, but....................contract/serial killer Richard Kuklinski (known as "The Iceman"), had used some caves "near the river" (Delaware I assume, though could have been any one of the creeks) as a location to murder/hide at least a couple of his victims. This was back in the 1970s. He had left one alive and bound, who ended up being eaten by rats (Kuklinski set up a camera to film this to show the results to his employer who had wanted a particularly gruesome ending). These events were documented both in the book "Iceman" and a 2 part documentary on HBO "The Iceman and the Psychiatrist" where he was interviewed by Dr Park Deitz.

Anyone know of a cave network say between Tinicum and Duhram townships? I'd be interested in hiking around to try and find them if I had a better idea where to start. Anyone up for a hike?

Regards, Jim

Regards, Jim

(Northampton County)

Wow. This thread is awesome. Bringing back lots of memories. Grew up in Hellertown but spent most of my free time out there.
    Spent many hours and miles out there.
    The pyramids are sweet. The Rosicrucians don't like folks hanging around though gawking. We also used to freak kids out on Ghost Mountain.
    Wow. This is taking me back. Hanging out in "Hell". The huge amphitheater looking cave next to 212 on 611 and checking out the old factory behind it.
    Exploring the abandoned house on Stouts Valley Road. Getting my 87 Accord stuck in the creek crossings on Bunker Hill Rd.
    Racing DSMs on Stoney Garden Rd. The corkscrew turn on Gallows Hill rd.
    Exploring the abandoned Northern half of Haupts Bridge Rd.

Parties on Rock Ridge Rd. Those were the best. Palisades girls were always more fun than Saucon ones. Speaking of Palisades, who remembers the walker on 412. All day everyday he was there. Even at 3:30 AM.

Oh man I wish I was a teen again right now.

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Far as I know there is still a fellow who is frequently walking up/down 412 at all hours of the day/night. Usually see him north of 563 and south of Stony Garden. Don't know if he's the same one you're referring to, but I've noticed him as early as 05:30, late as 23:00 and all times in between. Looks to be about late 50s (?) or so, kind of shabby looking, a bit "creepy".

Sound familiar Armor Snail?

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Armor Snail View Post
    Speaking of Palisades, who remembers the walker on 412. All day everyday he was there. Even at 3:30 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast