Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to CCing

(Schuylkill County)

Default New to CCing

I've recently gotten my CCW, and it only took me 4 days to get the license.

I am carrying a Hi-Point .45, and the gun is tough to hide with a long shirt and side holster.

I've decided to use a fanny pack. I'm going to be picking up a shoulder holster for the winter months (read: most of the year).

(York County)

Default Re: New to CCing

Quote Originally Posted by BoogerDog View Post
    I've recently gotten my CCW, and it only took me 4 days to get the license.

I am carrying a Hi-Point .45, and the gun is tough to hide with a long shirt and side holster.

I've decided to use a fanny pack. I'm going to be picking up a shoulder holster for the winter months (read: most of the year).
    I've tried cc'ing my Hi-point .40 (same size as your .45). While I have done it IWB it is by no means comfortable or easily concealable. OWB requires a REALLY big and loose shirt to conceal. I have a shoulder holster that it works well in while wearing a sport coat or winter coat (inexpensive Ultimate Arms).

III% - Stand and be counted

(Schuylkill County)

I'm thinking about hitting the Farmer's Market and getting a holster there. OWB is not an option for being concealed. The gun is a freaking cannon compared to an average 9 or 380

(Lycoming County)

A High Point carried in a fanny pack. That sounds like the "Ultimate Badass" rig to me.

Seriously, I don't have a problem with it but I can't wait to see where this goes.

(Lehigh County)

You will never pull it fast enough from a fanny pack if you need it quick. Might as well put a brick back there, at least you can throw the pack at them. Get a holster and practice drawing. Perhaps trade the brick in for something a little easier carry. I do not , never had a HP pistol, so I do not know how reliable they are, I do have a 9mm HP carbine, goes bang every time I pull the trigger. I have seen the HP pistols and they are very bulky looking. Get a glock g21 if you want double stack .45 or a 1911 for single stack.

(Delaware County)

I know this is posted to the CC forum, but I'm still surprised nobody has brought this up yet:

Why fight so hard to conceal such a big piece? If you have your LTCF you *may* conceal (or go to Philly, or get in a car), but nothing says you *must* conceal. I carry a 1911 all day, every day. I only conceal it at work (because I don't want to be the test case for "authorized", and I conceal it very well), but otherwise don't care if anyone sees it, and prefer not having extra layers of cover garment in the way if I shuld need to draw.

My 2¢

(Schuylkill County)

I realize that I post too far and too few to be insulted, but I have the HP because it is the weapon that I can afford.

I cannot afford a Glock or Kimber, or anything else.

I was trained in the Navy with a .45, and I consider anything smaller to lack adequate stopping power.

I am TRYING to find a holster. Please look at my second post.

I am not trying to fast draw anyone. I believe in situational awareness. I'm old. Old folks don't move too fast, but we can be sneaky.

Does anyone have any particular holster they believe will be adequate?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    I know this is posted to the CC forum, but I'm still surprised nobody has brought this up yet:

Why fight so hard to conceal such a big piece? If you have your LTCF you *may* conceal (or go to Philly, or get in a car), but nothing says you *must* conceal. I carry a 1911 all day, every day. I only conceal it at work (because I don't want to be the test case for "authorized", and I conceal it very well), but otherwise don't care if anyone sees it, and prefer not having extra layers of cover garment in the way if I shuld need to draw.

My 2¢
    Most new carriers, in my observation, lean toward concealed carry. After you've been carrying for a while, it really doesn't matter. As a side note, what size 1911 do you carry? I've been carrying a 5 inch Colt Government model but am thinking about going down to a Commander.

(Lackawanna County)

I'm not a gun snob. Congrats on your desire to carry. However, trying to find a holster that will easily (and comfortably) conceal a Hi-Point .45 is kinda like looking for a one car garage in which you can fit a tractor trailer...it ain't gonna be easy if it's even possible.

I realize that firearms are not cheap, but with current defensive ammo choices and if concealment is a big enough issue for you, perhaps you should move to 9mm or .40. There are plenty of firearm options in these calibers that are easy to conceal and won't break the bank. (I'm not a caliber snob either.)

By the way, I am a snob in one respect. Many on this forum are chest thumping, flag waving Americas yet they carry Austrian made Glocks and Croatian made XD's. I know I deny myself some pretty awesome guns with this stance, but all my firearms are made in the good ole US of A. So, congrats on your American manufactured sidearm! Don't let the foriegn buying Glock-o-philes get to you.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post
    Most new carriers, in my observation, lean toward concealed carry. After you've been carrying for a while, it really doesn't matter.
    I went thru the mental gymnastics of OC vs CC before I even had a gun in my posession. I'm content with how I carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post
    As a side note, what size 1911 do you carry? I've been carrying a 5 inch Colt Government model but am thinking about going down to a Commander.
    Full-size 1911. Smaller grip means less ammo on board, and 8+1 is few enough already. Shorter barrel only saves a few ounces at most, and gives up sight radius. I carry a 1911 because I'm comfortable with the platform and my short fingers all but mandate a single-stack. I'm a big enough guy to hide a government model if I want to. Why go smaller, especially since I already own one and I'm a cheap bas... I mean frugal guy. If I had to start over I might consider a round butt model for the sake of my car seat(s), but I'm happy with what I've got.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast