Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Need someone with a lathe

I need part of a barrel turned down. Is there anyone that can do this? Brand new barrel but outside specs are off and need to have that section turned down so a frame fits over it. Thanks.

Default Re: Need someone with a lathe

Check out machine shops in your yellow pages and see if any can help you out. Also try contacting a few gunsmiths in your area and see if any of them do machining.

(Washington County)

I had an automotive driveline shop do something similar. Don't discount them in your search for a machine shop.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Beaver County)

Just out of curiosity why can't you return it to the manufacturer? And what is this barrel for? (Just wondering if the out of spec will mess with accuracy or barrel harmonics)

You are too far away for me to be helpful.

There is a posting on both ebay and craigslist, mont pa. machine shop for rent.

Hope this helps.
    I talk jibberoush. pay attention.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by spartakis252 View Post
    Just out of curiosity why can't you return it to the manufacturer? And what is this barrel for? (Just wondering if the out of spec will mess with accuracy or barrel harmonics)

You are too far away for me to be helpful.
    I bought a ss barrel for an hk g3 build from hkparts. Where the triple frame goes over the barrel, they make that part wider than an original barrel, therefore the triple frame will not fit over. They suggested I ream out the triple frame. They also said they have a "special" frame for it, at 3x the cost. I can get a different barrel from them for $50 more, and I am fine with that, except mine is already pressed into a trunion and barrel pin installed, so he has to ask the owner to see if they will take it back. I will press it back out and send it back, so I am waiting for a call from them. I was on the phone with them for an hour yesterday. I asked why they do not state on the website that it is a different diameter, they claim it was just like the original g3 barrel and the guy I got on the phone was a "I don't know, I have to ask someone" type of person. After studying the barrel and frame, it is easier to turn down the section, it about 1 1/2 inches long for the frame to fit. I might call a few shops around town today.
    Last edited by Pa.Sniper; August 21st, 2013 at 08:28 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Well, I took the barrel to Charlie @ precision armaments. He wondered, same as me, why they do not make the barrel to specs, but he will turn it down for me and give me a call when he is done. He was busy tonight, busiest I have seen in a while. So now all I need is a receiver and I can put the g3 together.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    Well, I took the barrel to Charlie @ precision armaments. He wondered, same as me, why they do not make the barrel to specs, but he will turn it down for me and give me a call when he is done. He was busy tonight, busiest I have seen in a while. So now all I need is a receiver and I can put the g3 together.
    Glad this is getting resolved.

Make sure to post a review of Precision Armaments and what their shop is like, I have been meaning to check out the store but don't get over that way often.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Beaver County)

Glad to hear you are getting it worked out.

That company sounds a little shady to me based on your post.

I hope you can get it all together soon. I can't stand having pieces of guns and waiting to get them assembled.

(Lehigh County)

Since it is day 3 and no one called me back, I did file a complaint with the BBB, all I want is for them to put a notice on the barrel page that the barrel or frame needs machining before use. Might save someone else the headaches.

Charlie @ PA is great to deal with. His shop is part time, he is a machinist during the day and is open at night and Saturdays. Starting Sept. 1 he will be open Sundays also. He is also an AK master. I've seen some of his AK work and it is really nice. He had 3 ak receivers in the showcase for sale, didn't get the price though. It's not a big shop by any means, but the quality of work is great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast