Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Restoration of Firearm rights ia pa.

So I got convicted of possession of a firearm by a minor. It is on my juvenile record. I believe that is the only thing hindering me from owning a firearm. I have also been convicted of two ungraded misdemeanor counts of possession of drug paraphernalia and one ungraded misdemeanor count of possession of marijuana for personal use. From what I've read about disabling offenses the drug charges shouldn't prevent me from owning guns under state or federal law. The maximum sentence for those charges can not exceed a year. The issue must be my juvenile record. I could probably have it expunged. I believe this could be done without a lawyer in some counties. I could also file for a petition to restore firearm rights. I don't understand why it prevents me from owning a gun as an adult. It was a misdemeanor charge and all I did was pay a $700 fine. I didn't even get put on probation. All of the other prohibiting offenses that were listed among mine were really serious things like murder and rape. What gives? As far as the drug charges go I went to rehab and have been sober for over a year and a half. I'll be returning to school to finish my bachelors degree soon. I am 27 now. I got arrested for the gun at age 17 and was convicted at age 19 but its still on my juvenile record. Does anyone have any advice about my issue?

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Restoration of Firearm rights ia pa.

Edited: never mind.

You went to rehab to get off of the weed?
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; August 16th, 2013 at 11:33 PM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Jefferson County)

Ungraded misdemeanors are only M3's. They themselves shouldn't prohibit you from owning a gun. But you would never be eligible for a LTCF.

You'll likely need a pardon from the governor, and then an expungement after that. To get a pardon you'll have to make sure your troubled past is completely behind you. And they typically don't even look at applications until a good long time has passed since your last conviction. ....like 10 years or so, unless you ran into a burning building and saved a bunch of kids and puppies.

You need to hire a lawyer to handle this. If you were to attempt a pardon on your own and screw up the paperwork - you'll pretty much be blackballed there after. It is usually a 1 chance thing only. So doing it right the first time really matters a lot.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I was only considering an expungement for the juvenile offense of possession of a firearm by a minor not the drug charges. From what I have read they aren't to hard to get. Five years have passed since my conviction. I was convicted at age 19 but since I was 17 when I was arrested it went on my juvenile record.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension View Post
    I was only considering an expungement for the juvenile offense of possession of a firearm by a minor not the drug charges. From what I have read they aren't to hard to get. Five years have passed since my conviction. I was convicted at age 19 but since I was 17 when I was arrested it went on my juvenile record.
    What knight0334 said is correct and the best advice should you choose to follow it.

III% - Stand and be counted

I guess Ill just have to contact an attorney. What Knight explained sounds like the process needed to have charges on an adult record cleared. Juvy charges aren't as difficult to have removed. I'll just hunt archery until then or move to a different state.

(Berks County)

If you can't own a firearm you can't own a bow or muzzle loader either. They become firearms to those who are barred. It's in th law.

(Delaware County)

Gunsnwater,,,,, I believe your wrong about those two. How about a citation of that law.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Delaware County)

How do you know that you can't buy/own a firearm? Were you denied by PICS? If so, there's an appeal process and in it you will learn the reason for the denial. You MUST know this or you will not be able to solve the problem.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    If you can't own a firearm you can't own a bow or muzzle loader either. They become firearms to those who are barred. It's in th law.
    There is no law that I know of that prohibits a person from owning a bow if they are prohibited from owning a firearm.

Muzzleloaders - most persons who are prohibited from owning a modern firearm are also prohibited from owning an "antique firearm". However there are a few exceptions. ...but that is due to state law. Federal law does not prohibit a "prohibited person" from owning muzzleloaders or other antique firearms.

Probation and parole rules for the most part do prohibit a person from possessing anything that may be used as a weapon. ....non-kitchen knives, clubs, guns, archery stuff, etc, etc.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast