Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: S&W 1911SC

(Northampton County)

Unhappy S&W 1911SC

300 rounds or so into the new scandium frame pistol and the back side of the magazine release broke off. I believe it was made of that alloy. 150 rounds in the left handed side of the ambi safety fell off. Also that scandium stuff. Looks like the thin portions of a small piece are susceptible

Hmmmmm. Just FYI

Default Re: S&W 1911SC

It is likely that the parts on your gun that broke are cast and not scandium. Smith and Wesson does use some cast parts, but there is nothing definitive that I can find just by Googling that would determine whether or not the thumb safety and mag release are cast parts. With the price of that particular gun, I'd place my bet on them being cast.

Cast is generally lighter than forged and can feel like AL., and is used in non stress areas such as a thumb safety, mag release, slide stop, or trigger group parts. This is the reason some folk do not like cast frames because the frame does take a beating when springs are not replaced when they should be or when the slide rails do not get lubed. The good thing about AL SC is it is stronger than Al while retaining the light weight and can be shot a lot with worrying about a frame failure. My wife's AL Para commander carry gun is not a shooter. I do not 100% trust that frame to take the abuse the S&W scandium frame would take. The cast parts??? Just replace them is 'bout all you can do. MIM is the way builders are going to help keep 1911 costs down so blokes like me can afford one.
    Last edited by harold63; August 17th, 2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: punc error
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(York County)

As far as I am aware, only the frame uses scandium, the mag release and thumb safety are cast aluminium ( best of my knowledge ). Scandium is a rare and expensive mineral which is refined and added to aluminium to make it stronger and more durable, unlikely to be used in easily replaced ancillary parts .

(Monroe County)

Actually the Para aluminum commander frame is extremely strong.

(Northampton County)

Thanks gents. Knowledgeable member on another forum indicated the parts are MIM and that these parts will either fail relatively early or not at all. I have replace my mag release with a Wilson Combat Bulletproof steel part and will do same with safety (ie steel).

Which springs should be changed out and how often? I have a Beretta 92 with that aluminum frame as well as this S&W with the scandium.

I clearly have a lot to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by chiltech500 View Post

Which springs should be changed out and how often? I have a Beretta 92 with that aluminum frame as well as this S&W with the scandium.

I clearly have a lot to learn!
    Nah....you'll be detail stripping and doing parts changes before you know it. It really isn't that hard. I'm proof of that.

The Beretta 92/PT 92 have AL frames that are thicker, overall, than an AL 1911 frame and can take all the shooting you want to give it. Honestly, your scandium frame should be able to as well, but to keep your slide from battering your frame, a recoil spring swap every 1000 rounds or so would be optimal. Springs are about $8 apiece. Pretty cheap in my book. I changed the recoil spring on one of my PT 92's (long before I sold them) at just over 2800 rounds and could only tell the slightest difference, so 3000 on the Beretta is probably in the optimal range for that one. Still a very cheap maintenance item to keep the battering to a minimum. MJMHO...YMMV
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Northampton County)

Thanks 300WM, appreciate the info a lot. I worked on my own motorcycles quite a bit. Help from owner websites and a Clymers manual helped.

Guns are miniature to me and I don't have much confidence as things get smaller LOL. Are there service type manuals for 1911's. I would love to learn more but don't want to invest a lot in new tools if can be avoided, b ut the cost savings of doing work myself would be appreciated.