Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default So I want a .44 Mag..

And I have the choice between a 6in S&W 629-3 in great condition for around $600...or a Colt Anaconda 6in Stainless in good condition, minor surface scratches and it looks like ill be paying around $1100... any thoughts?

(Berks County)

Default Re: So I want a .44 Mag..

Get the smith, then buy another smith 686 (357) and some ammo, and come in around the price of that single colt. YMMV

(Chester County)

I'd take the Smith, a trigger job, and a bunch of ammo.

I have a mod29. Its friggin awesome.

(Mercer County)

I have two Anacondas. In my opinion it's the best looking .44 mag ever made. While the two are very similar as far a quality is concerned, I would give a slight edge to the Colt. The pony is always going to be worth more.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    I have two Anacondas. In my opinion it's the best looking .44 mag ever made. While the two are very similar as far a quality is concerned, I would give a slight edge to the Colt. The pony is always going to be worth more.
    That was kind of my thought process...I would love to have an Anaconda but to be honest I am more interested in shooting it than collector value... seems like they keep going up though. The Smith is definitely in better condition, and a little more than half of the process, but a Colt is a Colt.... ugh this is giving me a headache!

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orlov556 View Post
    That was kind of my thought process...I would love to have an Anaconda but to be honest I am more interested in shooting it than collector value... seems like they keep going up though. The Smith is definitely in better condition, and a little more than half of the process, but a Colt is a Colt.... ugh this is giving me a headache!
    If you want the Colt, you'll never be happy with anything else. You know what you want. Don't buck the Pony my friend.

(Philadelphia County)

I would do the smith even though I love colts. Do you know if there is an E prefix after the 29-3? If so it has the beefed up endurance package which would be better for firing heavy loads than the standard 29-3.
    I've owned a 29-2 and with the target trigger and hammer it was amazing. smiths definitely aren't made like that anymore but smith is still able to fix any problems plus the fact that if anything were to ever go wrong you can take it to most reputable gunsmiths.
    I had an anaconda in 4" .45lc as well and it was a joy to shoot and extremely accurate but I knew if anything went wrong I would have a tough time finding a colt certified gunsmith. I definitely preferred the trigger width on the smith and it was a lot easier to find after market grips etc for the smith as well.
    The anaconda will go up in value but I think you'd enjoy something you don't have to worry about shooting the snot out of.
    Is the smith blued or nickel? Either way I do prefer the stainless steal anaconda for finish only.
    Hope this helps ya!
    (P.s. I currently own a smith 29 performance center in .44 and a new python. I thought the colt would push it right out of the safe and planned to sell the pc but the smith is definitely holding its ground)
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-wagon View Post
    I would do the smith even though I love colts. Do you know if there is an E prefix after the 29-3? If so it has the beefed up endurance package which would be better for firing heavy loads than the standard 29-3.
    I've owned a 29-2 and with the target trigger and hammer it was amazing. smiths definitely aren't made like that anymore but smith is still able to fix any problems plus the fact that if anything were to ever go wrong you can take it to most reputable gunsmiths.
    I had an anaconda in 4" .45lc as well and it was a joy to shoot and extremely accurate but I knew if anything went wrong I would have a tough time finding a colt certified gunsmith. I definitely preferred the trigger width on the smith and it was a lot easier to find after market grips etc for the smith as well.
    The anaconda will go up in value but I think you'd enjoy something you don't have to worry about shooting the snot out of.
    Is the smith blued or nickel? Either way I do prefer the stainless steal anaconda for finish only.
    Hope this helps ya!
    (P.s. I currently own a smith 29 performance center in .44 and a new python. I thought the colt would push it right out of the safe and planned to sell the pc but the smith is definitely holding its ground)
    Great post. They're both great guns. You can't go wrong with either one. But if you've wanted the Colt, you're still going to want the Colt even if you get another great gun in its stead.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    if you've wanted the Colt, you're still going to want the Colt even if you get another great gun instead.
    Agreed. I tried to quench my python thirst with the anaconda and needless to so it didn't work. The anaconda was one 1 of 500 made and all I could find for it was cowboy action loads for a buck a round so that had to go.
    Try the trigger on both guns as well, smiths tend to have a plateau before dropping the hammer while colts stack.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast