Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Walther P22 five inch barrel

I just bought a five inch barrel for my p22 and found out the barrel sleeve was to long. Called costumer service they stated the kits are coming with the wrong part and the new part wont be available until fall. They sent me a used one. So i guess this is a heads up.

Default Re: Walther P22 five inch barrel

Hmmm, that's quite interesting since I didn't even know that they made a longer barrel sleeve. Must be a production spec error or something, which is nuts. Do you know how too long it is? If it's just by a little bit, are you sure that you got the barrel sleeve notch in the sleeve? There's a little notch in there that has to line up or else it won't go all the way down and would be a bit too long. You might be correct, and could have received one of the defective ones, but just wanted to make sure this wasn't the case and you had to mess with somthing that was an easy fix. Not trying to be a punk or anything or saying you didn't notice, just trying to help if I can.

(Blair County)

Customer service informed me that it was a barrel sleeve for walthers new 22. So it was not a production error but a packaging error. It is significantly longer and does not have a set screw dimple in it. All I had to do was say "I have a P22..." He cut me off and new exactly what i was talking about. Thats cool I got it worked out already just thought i would let the board know.

Not to change the subject, but I've been thinking about purchasing a P22. Have compared it with a couple of comparable models, one being the sig trailside & the other the mosquito. What do you like & dislike about the P22?
    Any other issues with it?

(Blair County)

I love it. There are a handful of factory attachments. Sights are great. Never had a problem jamming. Shots wonderful with the 3.5 barrell, have yet to try the five inch. The only complaints i have are that i wouldnt suggest using the trigger lock. If you get that lock jammed it is a real SOB to get undone. Not crazy about the clip release on it. It is a real pain to take appart until you get the hang of using the plasic post to align the spring.
    Overall I love the gun. Some of the early ones had problems with the clips falling out and the safety slipping to the on position while firing. I havent had any problems like this with mine. I would buy another one in a heart beat. I taught my friend and wife to shot with this gun. If you can find the two barrell deal I would buy that its a good deal. If the five inch barrell works as well as three i will be a real happy man.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAnoMO View Post
    Not to change the subject, but I've been thinking about purchasing a P22. Have compared it with a couple of comparable models, one being the sig trailside & the other the mosquito. What do you like & dislike about the P22?
    Any other issues with it?
    I had both a Sig Mosquito and a P22. The Sig I bought brand new. It went back to the factory twice. Both times it came back broken/not functioning properly. Constant jams, FTEs, stovepiping, and it would NEVER complete a full mag, no matter what type of ammo I fed it. The store where I bought it from said I was the second or third customer to have the same problem with the Sig Mosquito. They gave me my money back and no longer carry the Mosquito.

I had a P22. Good pistol, but I have large hands and it quickly grew uncomfortable to hold. It was useful as a glovebox pistol. That's about all I would have used it for. I recently sold it.

I wanted a .22 pistol for plinking and fun at the range, as well as introducing people to shooting who've never used a firearm. I now have a Beretta NEOS. This pistol is the one constant in my range bag. It's never jammed, eats anything I feed it, and it's accurate to boot. It has a rail on top for a scope or red dot, as well as normal sights. It's a little too large to carry, but it's not meant as a carry weapon. Break down is a snap, and you can get longer barrels for it. Best thing is, it's cheaper than either the Sig Mosquito or the Walther P22.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmiro View Post
    I just bought a five inch barrel for my p22 and found out the barrel sleeve was to long. Called costumer service they stated the kits are coming with the wrong part and the new part wont be available until fall. They sent me a used one. So i guess this is a heads up.
    Where did you purchase the barrel? Directly from Walther? Do you know if this is a problem with all the replacement 5 " barrel kits? I was actually going to get one this weekend on gunbroker.

(Blair County)

I bought it from east coast guns. It must have been a pretty common problem. The guy at Smith and wesson (walthers usa distributor) costumer service made it sound like it was all of the last batch that became available. For a while those barrells were not available from walther and recently have been restocked. They had me a used barrell sleeve that worked sent to me in a couple of days. They stated that I would also be sent a new one when they become available. The ETA is late summer for that. I shot it today. Not bad. Only put about a hundred rounds out of it. I kinda wish i would have just put the money towards a longer ruger. Live and learn.

(Montgomery County)

I was thinking that I should have got a Mosquito or a charger. I've shot around 1500 rounds through it. It seems to be picky on ammo. I haven't had too many problems when shooting the CCI minimags. But with the bulk 550 pack federal stuff it seemed to have some sort of trouble about every fourth shot. Instead of a new barrel I think I'll get the .22 conversion for my Beretta 92. Quite a price difference but I don't think I want to put any more money into this p22. I doubt its going to last too long. You get what you pay for I guess...

Whew--- I know this post is a little late to the discussion, but after seeing all the negative comments I knew I had to post

I own a p22 (with the 5" barrel) and have never had any problems with it. Ever.

Of course, I did put through 200 rounds of high velocity ammo first thing-- per the advice of the salesmen. Since then I have put through another 1000 or so shots of pretty much every type of ammo it will take. I'm a stingy bastard so a good chunk of that stuff is cheap, bulk purchased bullets. Once the spring gets broken in it will take anything.

The p22 feels good-- so good, the only 9mm that has felt right since then has been the p99--- but that's a topic for another forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast