Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Shooting help...

when I shoot my wheel guns, my groups are centered. As soon as I shoot a pistol, the groups move to the left. When I dry fire, the front sight does not move, so, it must me how I react to recoil when shooting a pistol.

I have tried several pistols, and the effect is the same - at 25 ft. the groups are at 9 o'clock about 2 inches to the left. BTW, the two pistols I want to improve on are a 1911 & a HK P7.

Wheelguns just are difficult to carry, so I have to improve w/ my pistols

Help!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Shooting help...

Here you go, print it out, use it at a target.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Pa.Sniper; August 13th, 2013 at 10:22 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I cant help you but I always shoot a little bit left. I checked out the .pdf you uploaded. What exactly does "too little trigger finger" mean? I'm guessing it means that i need to wrap my finger around the trigger a little more?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev19010 View Post
    I cant help you but I always shoot a little bit left. I checked out the .pdf you uploaded. What exactly does "too little trigger finger" mean? I'm guessing it means that i need to wrap my finger around the trigger a little more?
    Yes, put more of your finger on the trigger. Also try loading on round at a time and slowly squeeze the trigger until the gun goes off. Shoot 5 rounds like this and see if your grouping moves back to the center. Take time to practice basic trigger control. Are you shooting DA or SA? Are you cocking the rigger on the wheel guns?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev19010 View Post
    If the grips are too fat, not right for your hands, or the distance from grip to trigger is too great you will not get the proper amount of finger on trigger.
    Neither of the pistols you mention generally have this problem but everyones hand is different.
    If you can shoot someone else's, Kahr, S&W single stack third generation-3913, 3953, smaller caliber like a .380 Bersa or PPK you can see if it makes a difference.
    Last edited by timdennis; August 14th, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
    Tim

(Mercer County)

The vast majority of the time, shooting low and to the left is caused by the shooter anticipating the recoil and unconsciously adjusting for it a spit second before the shot. As mentioned earlier, where you're placing your finger on the trigger can also effect where your rounds go. Place your finger on the trigger, so that the trigger is centered right in the middle of the pad. This will allow for a direct rearward trigger pull.

Consider starting out MUCH closer to the target, at three yards. Shoot 5 rounds, if they're where you want them, take a yard-long step back and repeat. Keep doing this until you reach your goal. It will take time. Do NOT use Kentucky windage and adjust where you are aiming to allow for the error.
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; August 14th, 2013 at 01:31 AM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Westmoreland County)

I believe that it is more related to anticipating recoil. I have moved my trigger finger around w/o much affect. I will try your approach but shoot at 25 feet - at this range I'm about 2" to the left. What do you think about - one live round followed by an empty chamber?
    Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    The vast majority of the time, shooting low and to the left is caused by the shooter anticipating the recoil and unconsciously adjusting for it a spit second before the shot. As mentioned earlier, where you're placing your finger on the trigger can also effect where your rounds go. Place your finger on the trigger, so that the trigger is centered right in the middle of the pad. This will allow for a direct rearward trigger pull.

Consider starting out MUCH closer to the target, at three yards. Shoot 5 rounds, if they're where you want them, take a yard-long step back and repeat. Keep doing this until you reach your goal. It will take time. Do NOT use Kentucky windage and adjust where you are aiming to allow for the error.

(Monroe County)

Try bringing the gun straight up to chest height then push it forward and up toward the center of the target...check the sights and keep them there, adjust your head and eyes to meet the sights on center (hard to explain in words). Also, do you know what eye dominant you are? Make sure you are achieving a high tight grip into the webbing of your hand on the back of the pistol.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I believe that it is more related to anticipating recoil. I have moved my trigger finger around w/o much affect. I will try your approach but shoot at 25 feet - at this range I'm about 2" to the left. What do you think about - one live round followed by an empty chamber?
    I think it's a good idea, but only if somebody else is loading your mags. That way you won't know whether or not it's loaded. Be very careful with this though.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    I think it's a good idea, but only if somebody else is loading your mags. That way you won't know whether or not it's loaded. Be very careful with this though.
    Load four mags different ways and then pick them at random.

Just watch for squibbs. You gotta see what ejects from your gun when it doesn't seem to fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast