Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Would you send this firearm back for "upgrades"

Shhhhhh.
    A friend of mine has a handgun that he bought new from a dealer at a gun show in a midwest state many years ago with just a bill of sale, back before instant background checks and the sales records retention requirement has long past. My point is, the feds have no idea he has it. It also happens to be a handgun that will most likely be one of the first ones to go if there's ever a federal restriction on capacity or evil black pistols.
    This pistol has a free factory upgrade available including some parts that they recommend replacing. The gun functions fine as it is but without the "upgrade" there is a slight chance of an unintentional discharge under unusual circumstances. He very, very seldom carrys this pistol.
    His concern, if he sends it back to the factory will they record the serial number along with his information, will this information be available to the feds? Would you give up the anonymity for "upgrades"?
    Last edited by ray h; August 11th, 2013 at 09:22 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Would you send this firearm back for "upgrades"

The manufacturer would be required to log the gun into their boundbook if they retain possession longer than that business day. ...it is a federal requirement.

The Fedz, state, and other authorities would only see the logging if they do an inspection. And his name on the log wouldn't raise any eyebrows unless they were looking for him specifically.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. All his other firearms purchased from an FFL are in the same situation.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Funny, the idea of "THE FEDS" knowing about specific guns is hilarious. They won't come for certain guns, they'll come for people who they know have guns.

For example, does your friend hunt? Do he buy hunting licenses? Have a LTCF? Then, the feds already know he's an "Evil Gun Owner!"

In modern day America, we are all marked, PERIOD! Stop worrying about it and tell your friend to stop worrying about it. We lost the day we were issued numbers just like Jews in WWII. We are just not tattooed.

My opinion, send in the firearm, get the free upgrades on continue on with life.

CL

(Franklin County)

I think my friend appreciates the fact that in the event we are ever asked to turn in or register our evil black guns, it's easier to make it disappear if you never owned it and there's always the possibility, however slight, that he may end up on someone's "persons of interest" list, in which case it would be nice to have something that no one knows about.

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    ... in which case it would be nice to have something that no one knows about.
    I think he does have a good point there.

No record of a gun is better than saying "they were all just recently lost is a terrible boating accident"

(Lehigh County)

Ruger p85?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    Ruger p85?
    Evil black and plastic gun.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Funny, the idea of "THE FEDS" knowing about specific guns is hilarious. They won't come for certain guns, they'll come for people who they know have guns.

For example, does your friend hunt? Do he buy hunting licenses? Have a LTCF? Then, the feds already know he's an "Evil Gun Owner!"

In modern day America, we are all marked, PERIOD! Stop worrying about it and tell your friend to stop worrying about it. We lost the day we were issued numbers just like Jews in WWII. We are just not tattooed.

My opinion, send in the firearm, get the free upgrades on continue on with life.

CL
    You would have to live off the grid to be mostly immune to the government knowing of your gun collection. Just visiting this site much less becoming a member has you in some database somewhere. With how the NSA has a massive meta data collection system that monitors all phone, and internet traffic you are practically screwed if you don't want to be totally known, or able to be known. So screw it! Don't worry the loudest, and richest guys will be the ones that likely raid first. The internet is still a double edged sword for everyone so once they start banging people's doors down the ones not touched yet can react, and get moving.

(Chester County)

The DHS Fusion Centers are gathering all the information they need on everyone that shows up on this forum. Your IP address, all the references to your firearms, email content, and phone calls. All of it is gathered and submitted to your dossier they are compiling on every American citizen. If you want to keep a firearm off the grid you're going to have to go off the grid too. They will make fun of people that subscribe to the notions I've expressed but sure as I'm sitting here typing this, it's happening.
    Last edited by JenniferG; August 12th, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    The DHS Fusion Centers are gathering all the information they need on everyone that shows up on this forum. Your IP address, all the references to your firearms, email content, and phone calls. All of it is gathered and submitted to your dossier they are compiling on every American citizen. If you want to keep a firearm off the grid you're going to have to go off the grid too. They will make fun of people that subscribe to the notions I've expressed but sure as I'm sitting here typing this, it's happening.
    Not that long ago, most people would have had a good laugh at you for saying things like that.

I don't think anyone is laughing any more.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast