Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default ar pro mag question

any one ever have an issue with rounds falling out of promags when stored loaded but not in the weapon?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: ar pro mag question

I have an AR mag made by Pro-Mag(I think) that can only fit 28 or 29rds in of the 30rd capacity, and if you look at it funny it will kick out the top cartridge that you beat on like hell to get in.

The Pro-Mag's that I bought for my former Walther P99 were the same way. ...couldn't get full capacity, had to muscle the last round in, and would have "bullet retention" issues.

I'll NEVER own another Pro-Mag double stacked mag ever again. ...although their single stack mags for some of my pocket pistols work flawlessly.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

I had no problems fitting 30 rounds in them its just keeping them in. I Keep them in a cabellas range box sitting in my closet i opened it today to go to the range and i had more loose ammo then i did loaded in my mags. Guess i shoulda went with magpul.

(Montgomery County)

I have a 20 round pro mag that holds 20 but sometimes the top round does try to work loose. Also, with the 20th round in place, it will not seat on a closed bolt. Furthermore, it had extra metal forward of the feed lips. When I first seated the mag, it folded that extra metal in on both sides and made the mag a paperweight, until I filed off the extra metal. It's now reliable enough for slow fire at the range, but I'd never bet my life on it. It was the first and so far only non-pmag I've bought for my AR, and I also think that it will be my last. Pmags are dependable enough to bet your life on. Enough said.

(Lancaster County)

For the price id just stock up on gi type mags of good pedigree or pmags and never have to worry about it again.
    I have had surprisingly few homeless people hire me. - GunLawyer001

(York County)

I have 8, 30 round pmags and they all hold 31 rounds and with the 31st round in place the mag will not go into the rifle. So I only store 30 rounds in them especially since that is all they are supposed to hold. I believe the extra space is so that they can be filled to 30 and inserted with the bolt closed. I haven't had any rounds try to escape yet. I'll keep using them as long as they work.
    Sid

Ooops....I just reread the post I thought the question was about pmags not pro-mags. I haven't used pro mags so can't comment on those.
    Last edited by sid; August 11th, 2013 at 10:44 PM.