Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Private School Carry??

I have been having this debate with someone, and would like some clarification.

The debate is about the definition of "parochial school" in the definition of places where carry of a firearm is prohibited.

Parochial is defined by Merriam-Webster as: "of or relating to a church parish."

Parochial school is defined by Merriam-Webster as: "a private school maintained by a religious body usually for elementary and secondary instruction."

So, would carry at a private, nondenominational, religious school be prohibited (if one does not want to be a test case for the "other lawful purpose" clause)? The school is not affiliated with a particular "religious body."

I would tend to think that in spirit, yes, but in the letter of the law, I am not sure.

Here is the statute:

(b) Offense Defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the
    buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or
    secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by
    the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.
    Last edited by badey; August 10th, 2013 at 03:28 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: Private School Carry??

Quote Originally Posted by badey View Post
    I have been having this debate with someone, and would like some clarification.

The debate is about the definition of "parochial school" in the definition of places where carry of a firearm is prohibited.

Parochial is defined by Merriam-Webster as: "of or relating to a church parish."

So, would carry at a private, nondenominational, religious school be prohibited (if one does not want to be a test case for the "other lawful purpose" clause)?

I would tend to think that in spirit, yes, but in the letter of the law, I am not sure.

Here is the statute:

(b) Offense Defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the
    buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or
    secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by
    the Department of Education
    or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

Read it again. You've answered your own question (see bold)

The prohibition exists equally for public, private, and parochial schools. Unless I misunderstand your question?
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; August 10th, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Read it again. You've answered your own question (see bold)

The prohibition exists equally for public, private, and parochial schools. Unless I misunderstand your question?
    my understanding is that not all private schools are licensed by the dept. of education

my understanding is that not all private schools are licensed by the dept. of education
    All parochial schools are, to my knowledge.

(York County)

If such a school exists, and our judicial system sees fit not to drag you to
    court over the issue anyway, you would still want to be aware of any restrictions put in place by the owners of that private property. I would think you would be OK if you had the owner's permission.

My concern would be that we are discussing the kind of detail that would only be established to everyone's satisfaction in court.

(Beaver County)

If such a school exists, and our judicial system sees fit not to drag you to
    court over the issue anyway, you would still want to be aware of any restrictions put in place by the owners of that private property. I would think you would be OK if you had the owner's permission.

My concern would be that we are discussing the kind of detail that would only be established to everyone's satisfaction in court.
    Those are my thoughts as well, the person with whom I am debating doesn't appreciate the fact that he may end up being a test case, and may lose...

I think one is much more likely to be "outed" than to need a firearm, but what do I know?

All i can say on this issue is ,anywhere i go with children that are in my care i always have a *friend with me!
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(York County)

Those are my thoughts as well, the person with whom I am debating doesn't appreciate the fact that he may end up being a test case, and may lose...

I think one is much more likely to be "outed" than to need a firearm, but what do I know?

In a case such as yours, in the discussion with your other person, the best I can hope for is to make them aware of the laws and the risks to the best of my ability. After that, if they are an adult, the rest is up to them. Lord knows the courts are full of test cases.

(Beaver County)

In a case such as yours, in the discussion with your other person, the best I can hope for is to make them aware of the laws and the risks to the best of my ability. After that, if they are an adult, the rest is up to them. Lord knows the courts are full of test cases.
    Yeah, I've done my best to dissuade him, but he seems to be intent on doing it anyway, however he may be all talk.