Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Study finds vast online marketplaces for guns

One of the many angles I see the antis emphasizing more over the next year.

http://delcotimes.com/articles/2013/...mode=fullstory

WASHINGTON — The marketplace for firearms on the Internet, where buyers are not required to undergo background checks, is so vast that advocates for stricter regulations now consider online sales a greater threat than the gun show loophole.

A new study by Third Way, a centrist think tank with close ties to the Obama administration, found that thousands of guns, including so-called assault weapons, are for sale online and that many prospective buyers were shopping online specifically to avoid background checks.

The study focused on Armslist.com — a popular classified site similar to Craigslist.org that facilitates private sales of firearms and ammunition based on location — and analyzed listings in 10 states where senators voted against a background checks compromise this spring.

At any given time, more than 15,000 guns were for sale in those states, according to the study, and more than 5,000 of them were semi-automatic weapons. Nearly 2,000 ads were from prospective buyers asking to buy specifically from private sellers, where no background checks are required.

"At this point, this is the biggest loophole in the background check system," said Lanae Erickson Hatalsky, director of social policy and politics at Third Way.

Background checks — designed to keep guns out of the hands of convicted felons, domestic violence perpetrators or the severely mentally ill — are mandatory for gun sales at retail stores, but not at gun shows or for private sales, such as between neighbors and family members.

The National Rifle Association and other gun rights supporters have advocated against expanding the background check system because they believe doing so will not stop society's most dangerous people from procuring weapons and eventually will lead to even stricter gun regulations, including a federal registry.

But gun-control advocates have long prioritized closing the gun show loophole, believing that is where people seeking to avoid background checks buy their firearms. Hatalsky noted that 17 states have closed the gun show loophole in their states, and that law enforcement officers have become savvy about scouring gun shows for people evading the law.

But online, she said, "nobody's monitoring this. Nobody has any ability to stop these people who are looking for private sellers — and the only reason to do that is to evade the background check system."

The 1993 Brady Law, which instituted the background check system, exempts all private sales, including online. Gun-control advocates say the law's authors could not have envisioned the proliferation of online gun sales. Continued...

The compromise struck this spring between Sens. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and Pat Toomey, R-Pa., would have required background checks for online sales, but the legislation fell short of passage.

Third Way hopes its study will illustrate to senators who voted no the magnitude of online gun sales in their states and help convince them to change their positions if the legislation comes up for a second vote.

The study is a snapshot of sales on Armslist.org in June and July. In Georgia, for instance, there were 1,960 firearms for sale, while there were 6,192 for sale in Ohio and 124 for sale in Alaska.

In some states, many private sellers advertised numerous weapons for sale at the same time. One person in Arkansas had 22 separate guns listed for sale, while individuals in Nevada and Ohio had 21, according to the study

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Study finds vast online marketplaces for guns

I once bought a firearm at 34000 feet in the air on an airplane after I was screened by TSA. I couldn't TAKE POSSESSION until I landed and passed a background check.... But that part didn't make the story...

(Philadelphia County)

I didn't read past the first line or two where they're just plainly spreading misinformation.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by topsykretts View Post
    I didn't read past the first line or two where they're just plainly spreading misinformation.
    Wait, you mean UPS won't just drop my new M249SAW I got off the interwebs on my doorstep while I'm at work? I mean, I did tell the seller to put that "Heavy, Over 70lbs" sticker on the box because I know all those belts of 5.56mm can get hefty.
    5.56mm, 9mm, .40SW, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .22LR, 12GA, .45-70, 7.62x54R

(Philadelphia County)

once had a guy tell me about the secret back room at gun shows where people buy sell and trade illegal machinguns, sad part was he really believed it

I too didn't make it past the first line or two of lies. Don't have to pass background checks? FFL does this before handing over...my god some people will believe anything!

This might explain all those emails I got from people who wanted me to do an illegal sale with them and ignored me when I informed them that that was illegal and I had no interest in doing it. xD
    1776 or 1984? - You decide.

(Schuylkill County)

They forgot about the Ye ole fashioned newspaper classified ad loophole.

Why don't they make it illegal for prohibited persons to buy, sell, own, steal, or possess a firearm? Or make it illegal to sell to a prohibited person? I wonder how these jackasses would respond to these suggestions? Would they know the above is already illegal? For some reason prohibited persons do not believe in obeying laws.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by iamtommyboy View Post
    <snip>...my god some people will believe anything!
    The massive ignorance of all of the existing gun laws in this nation is exactly what the anti-gunners count on. Repeat a lie often enough - and the brainless phuckin US idjits will take it as gospel.

When Harry Homeowner believes that yes, you REALLY can walk into a gunshow and come out with a machinegun - then they will react accordingly when the MIAGs roll into town with their fear-mongering.

Perhaps if online e-tailers and auction sites kept beating the drum with every page as a pop-up that "all fed laws must be observed" - it would help a tad. Meanwhile - it is up to us to educate the unwashed masses as to just how our gun laws work.

If we leave it up to the Sandy Hookin' MIAGRs - we're phucked.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Venango County)

But I thought sites like Armslist.org were started so the CIA could find and buy back all of the stinger missiles they sold the Afghan Freedom Fighters during the Russian invasion (currently known as Al Qaeda or Taliban)!

Hint: The danger does not lie with a free people but in overbearing government.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast