Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question Anyone Here Reload .410 in 2.5" & 3"?

I have never reloaded before. And, I'm looking at getting into reloading some .410 bore in both 2.5" and 3". I've recently started getting my stepson into shooting (he's 6 years old). And, buying a box for $13.99-$16.99 is killing me. Especially come hunting reason. I was told reloading would eventually "pay for itself".

Anyone here reload .410 bore in 2.5" or 3"?
    What all do I need?
    What am I looking at price wise?
    Does it really "pay for itself"?

I'm looking at shooting .410 more now than 20 gauge & 12 gauge. Probably between 1,500 - 2,500 rounds a year (hunting, clays and just fun plinking).

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Anyone Here Reload .410 in 2.5" & 3"?

Guys I know who shoot a ton of clays every year tell me that on 12 gauge their cost to reload is around $4.50-5.00 a box or slightly better, and that if they can get something factory loaded around that then they'll buy instead of load. By that measure, so long as .410 wads aren't absolutely off the charts (and I don't know that, but I don't think they gold plate them), you should easily save a bundle given .410 uses way less powder and shot. I'd say conservatively you'd save half. So call it $7 a box saved, so 20 boxes gives you $140 recovered into cost of the press and other equipment. Not a bad way to spend cold or rainy days you wish you had at the range, or nights the wife is snoring, etc.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lehigh County)

I reload 12ga, but was recently looking into reloading .410. You need the right press, as I found out, they are out there, but a little pricey. Look for a mec .410 press. Most likely best bang for your dollar. Primers, powder,shot are all run of the mill items. I know mec has a 600 junior that you can set up for .410. That may be the cheapest one I saw.

(Luzerne County)

I bought a MEC 600jr. set up to load .410s. The savings are way more than seven dollars a box. Since I am using one half to three quarters of an ounce of shot, as opposed to one to one and one eighth, there is a savings on shot which is substantial if one loads a lot of .410s and shot prices stay where they are at close to $40/25lbs.
    Wads are 2.5 cents each. Primers are 4 cents each. A 12 grain charge of powder is 4.2 cents.....so right around 11 cents per before you add shot.
    A 25 lb bag will give you 400 one ounce loads. At $40 a bag, that is ten cents per shell. For a one half ounce .410 load, a nickle and 7.5 cents for 3/4 oz. load
    16 to 18.5 cents per .410 shotshell or $4 to $4.62 a box. That is about ten or so dollars a box less than factory.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Delaware County)

If your ever around a walmart, check there. I think they're much cheaper than what you quoted. The biggest problem with reloading 410 and 28ga is finding hulls.
    You can certainly save lots of $ loading your own. Try to use one type hull to avoid needing multiple wads.
    Mec 600 mark 5 is the new model. If you can find any used Mec, your in business. Parts are available for all their old loaders from Mec. I have an old Mec 600jr that is still rinning after 45 years. New 600s' run about $170.
    Keep an eye out for a Mec grabber progressive used. They are the best bang for your buck.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Luzerne County)

Walmart has .410s for about $8.00 a box. When they have them.
    P
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

I ordered a MEC 600jr in .410 bore to load 2.5" shells for plinking and target. I have enough 3" shells that are factory loaded to last me for this hunting season. So, I'll worry about that later. My stepson is gonna have a "blast" now cause he know we'll have plenty of ammo to shoot whenever he wants. Lol.