Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default question about Montgomery county LTCF process

Do I bring the local police check form to the Abington PD and wait to get it back before submitting the application to the county? The instructions on the county's website are unclear to me. If that's correct, do I also give the local PD the main application form?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: question about Montgomery county LTCF process

Quote Originally Posted by BearTHIS View Post
    Do I bring the local police check form to the Abington PD and wait to get it back before submitting the application to the county? The instructions on the county's website are unclear to me. If that's correct, do I also give the local PD the main application form?
    If you want to do it speedy at county level submit the police check card, wait, pick it up and then head to the Sheriff.

If you want the Sheriff to bust your balls because you're forcing them to follow state law just ignore the police check card and head right to the Sheriff.

(Philadelphia County)

You just give the local PD the check card and call you to pick it up when they feel like it. Some people just drop off there app with out the check and some were successful.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRaider5 View Post
    You just give the local PD the check card and call you to pick it up when they feel like it. Some people just drop off there app with out the check and some were successful.
    Wen I did the police check card, my PD did not call me despite saying they would. Call and check on it a few days after dropping it off.

Also, do not be fooled into paying for the check card. I've heard that some PDs try to charge you. If that is the case simply decline and go right to the Sheriff.

(Delaware County)

I see you're new. Just want to let you know the police card requirement isn't a requirement per state law and its illegal for them to try and force you.

Do as you wish now that you have the correct knowledge

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    I see you're new. Just want to let you know the police card requirement isn't a requirement per state law and its illegal for them to try and force you.

Do as you wish now that you have the correct knowledge
    I'm "new" but a long time lurker. I'm well aware the county is not following PA State law. I've even solicited (w/out success) support from some members to be "that guy" who won't play ball in order to gain standing so that this issue could be challenged in court. At this point, I just want to be able to protect myself/family ASAP.

My local PD would not give it back to me, but said they would mail it to the sherrif. They did. I waited about 10 days then called the Montco sheriff and they told me they had it.

After that it was about 20 min at the sheriff's and I was done.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BradACP View Post
    My local PD would not give it back to me, but said they would mail it to the sherrif. They did. I waited about 10 days then called the Montco sheriff and they told me they had it.

After that it was about 20 min at the sheriff's and I was done.
    Hmmm. The lady that took my form at the Abington PD just said "come back in 2 weeks to pick it up, it takes 2 weeks to do the background check".. 2 weeks for a background check? Makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time.

(Montgomery County)

My local PD also requested I give them the main application form along with the check card. They called me to pick up the completed check card I think 2 days later. Better than the potential of waiting 40 days.

Went to the courthouse with my application, check card, and a $20 bill and had my permit in about 20 minutes. Started on a Tuesday I believe, and had my permit on Friday morning.

This is before I knew about the illegal extra requirement. But to be honest, if I had to do it all again, I wouldn't change my process. Coming from NJ, a trip around the corner to my PD in order to get a LTCF seemed like nothing......

(Montgomery County)

My wife and I both got our LTCFs by just going to the Sheriff's office. They gave me a crap ton of tude saying "Lower Merion doesn't verify addresses over the phone, so you're forcing a deputy to go down there and run this errand for you." With my wife, it was totally different. Lots of smiles and "Ok, we'll give you a call when it's ready to be picked up." I guess it pays to be a well chested female... In both cases, the call came less than the full 45 days later.

Being as I'm originally from Berks, where there is no such police card requirement, it pissed me off enough to say "no way." The laws of the state are supposed to be uniform. However, at least Montco is not Philthadelphia. I'd take Montco's crap over Philly's crap anyday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast