Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SBR AKs

(Philadelphia County)

Default SBR AKs

Hey I have an AMD 65, if you're familiar with the model it was an added muzzlebrake to increase the barrel length to make it 16.5" and US legal.

In the future once I no longer live in fascist philadelphia, can I get some sort of tax stamp to make it into a SBR and then get the muzzlebrake removed to have an overall shorter barrel?

Does it work that way?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: SBR AKs

I don't know much about AKs from a gunsmithing perspective, but legally this is totally doable.

If you want to get around the stubborn CLEO issue in Philly, you can always go the LLC or trust route and get your SBR without having to move. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages, which you should be taken into very serious consideration. A quick search should yield you plenty of info and opinion on the issue. If you choose to start an LLC or a trust, I highly recommend consulting with a good lawyer with NFA experience to ensure that everything is done correctly. It'll cost a couple hundred bucks up front, but it's a lot cheaper than moving, and it beats the hell out of what they'll charge you when you screw up and end up in court.

Be sure to look for Gunlawyer001's posts on the subject matter, and maybe drop him a line if you're considering going in this direction. Last I checked, he's big on LLCs over trusts, and makes a pretty good argument as to why. If you'd still rather set up a trust, people seem to have had good experiences with Mr. Joshua Prince.

If you're planning on moving anyway, you're probably better off just owning your stuff outright. Here's a pretty good rundown of the process for personal ownership of NFA stuff here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...xperience.html

That thread is in regard to SBRing an AR-15, but the concept should be pretty much the same to SBR an AK. Best of luck getting your toy set up!

(Clearfield County)

gunsmithing wise that should be pretty easy, assuming they used a short barrel to start with.

(Centre County)

Yes, you can. Once you have an approved Form 1 it should be an easy conversion. If memory serves correctly (depending on the mfg of your specific gun) it should just be a tack weld that would need to be removed and dressed, you can then affix any number of muzzle devices.

Here is some more info about the AMD65's which may help.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...d-accessories/
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(York County)

std stock barrel is 11.5", and the fireball from one is impressive, as AK ammo is engineered to have an optimal burn in 16". good luck with that.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    std stock barrel is 11.5", and the fireball from one is impressive, as AK ammo is engineered to have an optimal burn in 16". good luck with that.
    AMD's are 12.5". The factory muzzle brake doesn't help with flash. But many devices do.

The AK 47 is a great SBR. Or, 7.62x39 is good out of a short barrel. You won't lose much going from 16 to 12.5. Even the whole way down to 8". Velocity typically stays over 2k fps. Which considering the 16" velocity is only 2400 fps to start... Is worth mentioning.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; August 5th, 2013 at 03:58 AM.

(York County)

according to good sources the length is actually 12.6". the velocity loss is significant if your target is wearing kevlar. the 16" gun runs 2350 according to reports, and the 10" gun runs 2100. 150-200 yards out the longer barreled gun will penetrate level 3, while the short barreled gun will not.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    according to good sources the length is actually 12.6". the velocity loss is significant if your target is wearing kevlar. the 16" gun runs 2350 according to reports, and the 10" gun runs 2100. 150-200 yards out the longer barreled gun will penetrate level 3, while the short barreled gun will not.

Source on that info?
    Buy a silencer.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

Not that it's on topic but since it was brought up there aren't any 7.62x39 rounds, with the exception of AP 7.62x39, that would penetrate level 3 body armor. Level 3a on the other hand is not rated for rifle rounds by the NIJ, not that it can't/won't potentially stop one, just that it was/is not tested by them and hence not certified by them to stop said type of rounds.

Bellow is a link to the NIJ standards with which body armor is certified.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/223054.pdf

So, I'm not sure that any of it matters, I just like to see factually correct info and not conjecture.
    Buy a silencer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]