Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Question regarding state lines

Where taxes are paid and postal address have no bearing. Each side of the demarcation line follows the laws of the land in which the property is located.

You simply must follow the law of the state in which that specific piece of property is located within.

States, counties, and municipalities can set up agreements on taxes, and what is being taxed. Some places where a house or property is in two or more different jurisdictions - the owner will pay taxes to all jurisdictions for the portion in of property within that domain. Some will set up agreements where one landowner will pay all to one domain, and another along the same boarder will pay to the other to balance things out. One common theme in several states is that the landowner will pay to the domain where the kitchen sink is located.

As mentioned in the post above, the postal address is for the convenience of the US Postal Office. Along the Mississippi River there are places that are in one state, but have addresses from the state across the river. Hell, there is an enclave of Kentucky that is completely surrounded by Tennessee and Missouri, and has a Tennessee mailing address, see --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Bend
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

So like I thought, you can have guns and mags that are illegal in one state kept in a house that is divided by a state that allows those items.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by rompus View Post
    So like I thought, you can have guns and mags that are illegal in one state kept in a house that is divided by a state that allows those items.
    Yep, so long as they never go into the state that prohibits the firearm.

Example: DE and PA - certain NFA weapons are illegal in DE, but completely legal in PA. A house divided between the two states, the NFA guns would be legal in the PA portions of the house, but illegal in the DE portions of the house.

Should there be no access from PA side into the home(window or door) to pass the firearms through, then one could not legally get the firearm to the safe section of the home.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Yep, so long as they never go into the state that prohibits the firearm.

Example: DE and PA - certain NFA weapons are illegal in DE, but completely legal in PA. A house divided between the two states, the NFA guns would be legal in the PA portions of the house, but illegal in the DE portions of the house.

Should there be no access from PA side into the home(window or door) to pass the firearms through, then one could not legally get the firearm to the safe section of the home.
    I would setup the benches in PA and the berm in DE. And call the DE cops on myself.

Who the hell would knowingly purchase a house in two states?
    You couldn't give me that headache.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lancaster County)

If your fridge is on the DE side and your living room is on the PA side, is it bootlegging to take a beer from the fridge to the living room?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If your fridge is on the DE side and your living room is on the PA side, is it bootlegging to take a beer from the fridge to the living room?
    No. But if you like cold whiskey, better buy miniatures.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Maybe, depending on the respective states laws. Many allow for minor amounts cross state lines for personal consumption.

I cannot remember how PA's law is with that. I think PA is pretty strict about it, but may overlook it within ones home.

What would really suck is states that tax personal property on top of real property. At one time Virginia taxed golf clubs, where as NC didn't. If you kept the clubs on the VA side of the house - they would be subject to property taxes.

Same with WV and PA. Things like washing machines, TV's, and other appliances were subject to property taxes in some counties of WV. When I worked in Randolph County of WV for over a year I rented a small efficiency/apartment in Mill Creek. When I went up to Elkins to buy a TV I had to fill out a personal property tax form for the TV when I purchased it - and I did get 1 tax bill before I moved on to the next jobsite here in PA. I had a FL drivers license and kept FL as my primary residence, but also kept a home in PA since that is where the company I worked for was located(and where I originated from), and a short term residence where ever I had work for over 6 months.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    There is one house on the border between Vermont (United States) and Quebec (Canada). Customs officials from both sides have shown up to assure that the American stuff stayed on the American side and the Canadian stuff stayed on the Canadian side.

Nope, no die-hard gun owners there, but I imagine the Canadian types would have a massive heart attack at seeing what Americans can and do own.
    Derby Line Vermont. The library there is in two countries. There are house's in the USA whose driveway exit puts them in Canada. Technically whenever they leave home there are to check in with the border guard.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Where taxes are paid and postal address have no bearing. Each side of the demarcation line follows the laws of the land in which the property is located.

You simply must follow the law of the state in which that specific piece of property is located within.

States, counties, and municipalities can set up agreements on taxes, and what is being taxed. Some places where a house or property is in two or more different jurisdictions - the owner will pay taxes to all jurisdictions for the portion in of property within that domain. Some will set up agreements where one landowner will pay all to one domain, and another along the same boarder will pay to the other to balance things out. One common theme in several states is that the landowner will pay to the domain where the kitchen sink is located.

As mentioned in the post above, the postal address is for the convenience of the US Postal Office. Along the Mississippi River there are places that are in one state, but have addresses from the state across the river. Hell, there is an enclave of Kentucky that is completely surrounded by Tennessee and Missouri, and has a Tennessee mailing address, see --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Bend
    Made me think of Point Roberts Washington, the only way to reach it by land is via Canada.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast