Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shydas - Not a fan...

A week or two ago, I decided to drive to Lebanon (over an hour's drive away) to see what Shydas was all about. I had read many positive reviews about the gun shop here at PAFOA and from people I know that shop there, so I decided that it was worth the time (and gas) to see what they had. My objectives were to pick up some reloading supplies and see what kind of reloading equipment they had available.

As soon as I walked through the door, I was met with indifference by the staff. Maybe they were having a bad day, maybe not, but I definitely did not feel at ease as the atmosphere was uptight and I was ignored. I did notice that not many people were in the store, perhaps a half dozen, yet the gun shop was staffed by at least 7-8 sales people.

Anyway, after selecting a few items for purchase, I headed to the counter to check out. Trying to strike up a conversation about Shyda's, I learn that the guy ringing me out is apparently the manager of the gun shop (James). I found him to be quite unfriendly, borderline surly, lots of attitude and will not look you in the eye when you speak to him (goes a long way in my book).

I left Shyda's with mixed feelings; I love the gun shop itself, lots of reloading equipment and supplies, great selection of ammo and accessories and the prices for reloading stuff is really good, lower than my usual haunts. But the people that work there, especially James, well, what a huge turn-off.

Unless I absolutely cannot find something anywhere else, I probably won't return to Shydas anytime soon.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Shydas - Not a fan...

I haven't been there for awhile so I can't really comment on your recent experience.

I like a store that doesn't jump on you when you first enter. If I need help, I'll ask.
    I like to look around a bit and see what they have and the prices. If I like what I see, then we'll go from there.

Did you go into the clothing barn? I bought more stuff from there than the gun shop.

(Berks County)

I was in there today buying 556. I'm trying to think who that guy is. He the one with the part down the middle and salt and pepper hair?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Lebanon County)

I was in there today and had three salesmen ask if I needed help with anything.

(Beaver County)

As for customer service in general I don't want to be hounded as soon as I step in but acknowledgement that I at least entered your store would be nice. There is a fine line there and some are too far away on either side.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

I've been going to Shyda's for years...I like the staff their...James is a good guy, so perhaps you caught them on a bad day.

It's normally swamped there on the weekends, so during the week, I'm surprised you got a negative vibe.

You are lucky you didn't visit during the panic of Dec 12- June 13...lol

(Berks County)

He the big tall young guy?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4Life View Post
    A week or two ago, I decided to drive to Lebanon (over an hour's drive away) to see what Shydas was all about. I had read many positive reviews about the gun shop here at PAFOA and from people I know that shop there, so I decided that it was worth the time (and gas) to see what they had. My objectives were to pick up some reloading supplies and see what kind of reloading equipment they had available.

As soon as I walked through the door, I was met with indifference by the staff. Maybe they were having a bad day, maybe not, but I definitely did not feel at ease as the atmosphere was uptight and I was ignored. I did notice that not many people were in the store, perhaps a half dozen, yet the gun shop was staffed by at least 7-8 sales people.

Anyway, after selecting a few items for purchase, I headed to the counter to check out. Trying to strike up a conversation about Shyda's, I learn that the guy ringing me out is apparently the manager of the gun shop (James). I found him to be quite unfriendly, borderline surly, lots of attitude and will not look you in the eye when you speak to him (goes a long way in my book).

I left Shyda's with mixed feelings; I love the gun shop itself, lots of reloading equipment and supplies, great selection of ammo and accessories and the prices for reloading stuff is really good, lower than my usual haunts. But the people that work there, especially James, well, what a huge turn-off.

Unless I absolutely cannot find something anywhere else, I probably won't return to Shydas anytime soon.
    Since you were in the area you should have gone to Encks Gun Barn in Newmanstown.

The last few times I have been in shydas I wasn't impressed with there service at all. I used to deal with them a whole lot for reloading supplies. I don't have a problem driving right past anymore. There are far too many shops in the area to deal with the shydas ego.

(Berks County)

I am not looking to get jumped by sales staff....nor do I expect a big sloppy kiss either just because I graced a store with my presence.

I have noticed a little aloof or surly behaviour and attitude a few times myself. Got blown off a couple of times after asking some questions on product availability, when do they expect to have "X" back in so I can come back and got some odd remarks and attitude that made me say WTF to myself.

Over all Shyda's is decent with good prices and I go there quite often.

Since you were in the area you should have gone to Encks Gun Barn in Newmanstown.
    Encks is decent also, if you visit one, you should check the other.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

The only think with Encks is sometimes you walk into the middle of the local meeting of God knows what they are talking about and you look like an outsider and fell a bit uncomfortable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast