Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Wondering how things will go in my neighborhood next time I OC

Just the other day this happened in my quiet town. I Mostly CC but I do OC from time to time too. Just wondering how my local PD will respond to an MWAG call after this happenned.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...ilroad-tracks/
    Last edited by Joe88XJ; July 29th, 2013 at 11:58 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Wondering how things will go in my neighborhood next time I OC

As long as you don't respond like he did, I see no problem. You may have a encounter with the local PD, but if you handle it like a sane person, the next time they see you it will be, "oh it is just Joe". But I imagine right now they are on edge after this incident.

Summertime I open carry more often, no problems up by me.

I look at OC like the gay agenda. 20 years ago there were few gays "out" or on TV, and it was still somewhat controversial for a show to have a gay character. Now it is common and no one really gives a damn.

We need to take a page from that play book, make carrying a gun a "normal" everyday commonly seen activity so no one gives a damn when they see it.

Good luck over there in Wernersville.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    We need to take a page from that play book, make carrying a gun a "normal" everyday commonly seen activity so no one gives a damn when they see it.
    The proof is in the pudding, too. When I first moved to Media, there were two notable OC "encounters" - one where I was shopping and another grocery getter called the cops for the dangerous man pushing around a stuffed cart full of food, and another where three jurisdictions did a SWAT-style raid on the diner I was eating at, and only stopped short of entering with guns drawn when the Sergeant in charge realized that the 911 call they got was entirely made up when he looked through the window and saw me sitting there.

That was within the first couple of months of me living here. Since then, in all my time OCing, no Media, Nether or Upper Providence police officer has said boo to me, although I have had the occasional slow-roll, which is perfectly fine.

It CAN be normalized, but only so far as until the bad guys try to start doing it.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe88XJ View Post
    Just the other day this happened in my quiet town. I Mostly CC but I do OC from time to time too. Just wondering how my local PD will respond to an MWAG call after this happenned.

Incident already being discussed.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/226...ks-county.html
    IANAL

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe88XJ View Post

Just remember, you aren't doing anything wrong or illegal. Keep your senses about you, and carry on.
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

Quote Originally Posted by CartBone69 View Post
    That thread is specifically about the incident; dissecting it, debating it, etc. I think this thread is more about the impact on others because of that incident.

(Berks County)

It's amazing how the media made it sound like thousands of rounds were fired. "Gun battle on railroad tracks"

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post
    That thread is specifically about the incident; dissecting it, debating it, etc. I think this thread is more about the impact on others because of that incident.
    You are correct! My little town used to have 2 or 3 full time police officers and 2 or 3 part time officers, were were recently blended in with a neighboring police dept for financial reasons I am pretty sure. Anyways still a small town setting and we have 1 or2 high strung types although most of the officers are laid back and easy to deal with. I have never had a single incident to report on involving OC....I think I have been given a few hard looks but nothing more....but when I read this article, While quite vague my first thought was....how will the officers act if they get a call for me OC'ing. Having read the other thread and some reports about what really happened it does sound like this guy was behaving very strange and not at all the way I conduct myself. But the thought I had was...Oh boy I really dont want an adrenaline jacked up officer pointing his gun at me! I just dont trust anybody enough to stand at the muzzle end of their gun! I have never had a bad experience with an LEO involving OC or CC or having a pistol in my car or on my bike....been quite the opposite actually. I am pretty certain that being a polite courteous legally armed citizen has gotten me a friendly warning on many occasions. Anyways I aprreciate any input that has been put into the thread or will be put into this goin forward!
    Joe

(Berks County)

Shouldn't have an effect anyone, but who knows. LEOs today look for any reason to disarm people, and stomp on any right they can. As for OC, I use a holster. The way I read the article it sounded like he Mexican carried in his pocket
    Fraggle09027 is not a lawyer. Any advice is just advice (my own 2 cents) and is not expressed or implied as legal advice.