Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Remington Versa Max?

Does anyone own one or has anyone shot one? What do you think of them. I think I might want one.

I don't have a 12ga and I'm trying some shotgun games. My 20ga works so far, but everybody should own a 12ga right?

The idea is to get a gun that will function for pretty much any 12ga role. So everything from trap to hunting. I know that it's never the best idea to try and fill all those holes with one gun. My thinking is that if I end up really liking a specific game I can get a gun geared for that game and still have the versa max for everything else.

Thoughts?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Remington Versa Max?

I just bought one the sportsmans version I like it. I bought it at Dicks $999 on sale open a credit card you get 10 percent off of that plus $60 in gift certificates. I have $840 in it I don't buy much there but the same gun at Gander Mountain is $1150 to save that much I could not pass it up. I bought 4 extended chokes at CDNN investments for around $50.

(Bucks County)

HELLLLL NOOOOOOO

I just got back from working at the 2013 Scout Jamboree. We had Versa Maxes at our sporting clays course. They felt awesome for the first 25 rounds, then:

-choke tubes would work loose
    -rear sight beads backed out and were lost
    -screws in the top of the receiver for the scope mount backed out and were lost
    -hand guard nut loosened, needed to be re-tightened every 5-10 shots
    -stocks loosened up
    -flimsy hand guards, even when tightened up

We also had front sight beads canted from the factory, as well as one or two guns that fired without the trigger being pulled. These guns are in no way worth the price tag. Find yourself a Beretta or a Benelli for the same price range.

Remington should be ashamed to put their name on such a piece of crap.

(Allegheny County)

I have close to 200 shells through mine without an issue.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bman1187 View Post
    I have close to 200 shells through mine without an issue.
    We had the regular version, not the sportsman. Maybe there is a difference?

Our firing schedule meant that guns saw 500-750 rounds a day. They were cleaned daily. In total guns maybe saw 7500 rounds in about 10 days.

Out of about 35-40 guns, we had an average of one gun go down PER DAY off the line that had to be sent to the armorer.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the concept of the Versa Max. I could shoot all day with how lightly it recoils. But I think the execution of the design is flawed; or at least Remington's QC is slipping. Therefore, I would not recommend it. Our 11-87s on the other hand performed near flawlessly. I think we only had 1-2 go down the entire time, and that was due to sight beads falling off. No mechanical errors to note, although they saw maybe 1/3 of the rounds that the Versas did.

One more thing I forgot to note is that on more than one occasion we had guys accidentally unscrew the entire magazine tube while trying to unscrew the hand guard nut. This happened maybe 3-4 times. Just a big pain in the butt.

(Westmoreland County)

Yeah the reliability of the design with little poof shells to full on 3.5 inchers sounds great. The more I read though it's like if you get one that is right, it's a great gun. If you don't though it could be multiple trips back to Remington.

It seems like they are standing behind them and fixing bad guns, that's good I guess. Who wants to spend money like that on something that's liable to go tits up at any time. If I drop a grand on a gun I want it to be just right.

I dunno, I want the design, but noy the poor workmanship and QC.
    Last edited by Wasz; July 29th, 2013 at 05:42 AM.