Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Hornady Suspends Production of Less-Popular Products

I came across this mentioned tonight from earlier in July ... Hornady is suspending 150 bullets and 150 loaded cartridges from manufacturing to reduce production change-out time and make more of the most popular products. I thought the most interesting thing is when Steve Hornady in this video on YouTube states that their current backlog on orders will take over two years to manufacture. Sounds like the component crunch is going to last for quite awhile yet.

Items still being produced: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...in-production/

Items being suspended: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...lance-of-2013/

If this was already covered somewhere here on PAFOA, I didn't see it and my apologies for the duplicate posts.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

Default Re: Hornady Suspends Production of Less-Popular Products

This is old news. Hornady is full of it...they didn't suspend unpopular bullets...some of those bullets on that list are highly sought after.

IMO, it's a bone headed move as some guys over on the Hide built rifles around a particular Hornady bullet.

This is a regular event in the ammo industry. The suspension is only termorary if you read all of the articles currently out there.

Bottom line is the lessor demand items will not be manufactured for the next 5 months in place of higher demand items.

This happens EVERY year as we transition from the summer months of recreational target shooting to hunting season.

A good example is some of the old staples that have faded in demand. Do you really think the ammo manufacturers make 30-30 and .32 Win Spcl year round? No, they run these for a few days and they have sufficient stock built up to get through the heightened demand of hunting season.

After reading the comments on accurateshooter.com it appears that many have interpreted this to mean Hornady is ceasing production of the items on the announcements. This is not the case.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    I thought the most interesting thing is when Steve Hornady in states that their current backlog on orders will take over two years to manufacture. Sounds like the component crunch is going to last for quite awhile yet.
    The same thing happened 4 years ago, and the backlog didn't last 2 years...

When a retailer runs out of ammo, they call up Remington and order 1 Million rounds, Remington is backlogged, so the retailer calls Winchester and orders 1 Million rounds, Winchester is backlogged so the retailer calls up Prvi Partisan and orders 1 Million rounds, Prvi is backlogged, so the retailer calls up Hornady and orders 1 Million rounds, Hornady is backlogged, so the retailer calls up Federal and orders 1 Million rounds...

Now, manufacturers have 5 million rounds backlogged, and the retailer only wants 1 million rounds. As soon as one of the 5 manufacturers delivers 1 million rounds, the retailer will cancel the other 4 million rounds.

I.E. - Don't buy into the panic!!!
    I want your vz.33

(Lancaster County)

I sure wish I lived near an ammo plant so I could work as many hours as I wanted when I wanted them.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent