Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Did Hodgdon discontue Trail boss

I was surfing the web looking for some trail boss powder to no avail, I did find it on GB for nearly $1000 for a 4 pound keg. I did a google search on the status with mixed reviews, some said it discounted others said its on hold for more poplar powders. does anybody know the truth? I'm looking to make some subsonic 308 for range fun and I'm running low. does anybody know the true story about trail boss. I am aware the Hodgdon company is dropping several types of powders across all their brands but is trail boss one of them?

I would think since this is a special use powder it would make the cut and be safe, but what gives. is this just the supply shortage or is it gone forever? I do have data for H4895 and bench mark for subsonic 308 but i get a lot more usage out of trail boss for gallery loads for my children.

in case you're wonder it was my niece that asked me for subsonic 308, I guess she wants to turn her 308 into 300BO and since I'm a cool uncle I told her i would do it. Do any of you have success loading sub 308 with H4895 or bench mark if i cant get any trail boss?

thanks in advance FATS

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Did Hodgdon discontue Trail boss

My understanding is, it has been discontinued altogether.

There was a guy here trying to sell a 5# jug for $1000. Last I saw, he was down to $650, but the ad is now closed. Whether he sold it or not, I don't know. (I hope not, though)
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Bucks County)

H4895 or bench mark are way too slow for subsonic. You will need a fast pistol powder like bullseye or unique and maybe a small square of dacron to keep the powder next to the primer. Cast bullets are a good choice since they are "slippery" and have less of a chance getting stuck in the barrel. Be careful and work your way down to avoid squibbs.

The Cast Boolits site should have everything you need to know. It is usually easier to search something like "308 subsonic" and Boolits in a google search. The website is popular enough so the results are usually at the top of the page.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php

It*s still on the website, unlike 800x which was discontinued.

https://shop.hodgdon.com/hodgdon-trail-boss/

I*ve heard the AUS factory has stopped production because
    The MFGing line was retooled for other powder while there*s
    A worldwide shortage. It will probably show up again, if you
    Can wait 3 years and Trump wins, otherwise look at alternatives
    SigGendered

(Elk County)

I've read that 12 to 14 grains of Unique under a ~150 - 170 gr cast bullet works fine. No wads, no fillers necessary. I've personally not so loaded the 308, but I use 13 gr of Unique under a 145-160 gr jacketed bullet in my minty 7mm Rolling Block, and in a Flaig Ace custom Krag sporter in 30-40.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Tioga County)

In Hodgdon's 2024 magazine you can find on the magazine rack at bookstores or supermarkets, they have an article on subsonic loads to substitute for Trail Boss.

As I recall Trail Boss is not discontinued forever, there were some "production issues" or some such going on.

(Tioga County)

Just saw an email to and from ADI in Australia, they are working on resolving issues getting the Trail Boss line up and running.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Just saw an email to and from ADI in Australia, they are working on resolving issues getting the Trail Boss line up and running.

"Trail Boss * This propellant is unlikely to be released in 2022 as there continues to be an active research and development project associated with its manufacturing optimisation."

http://www.adiworldclass.com.au/2021...ellant-update/

Judging from the appearance of the powder, those little donuts, there might be some manual steps involved. Any time a person touches something, the cost rises. Could also be that Trail Boss is extruded like IMR, which could impose extra costs.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I've read that 12 to 14 grains of Unique under a ~150 - 170 gr cast bullet works fine. No wads, no fillers necessary. I've personally not so loaded the 308, but I use 13 gr of Unique under a 145-160 gr jacketed bullet in my minty 7mm Rolling Block, and in a Flaig Ace custom Krag sporter in 30-40.

Noah
    I've used Red Dot to get results with 30-06 with 220 grain plated 30 caliber rounds. The kinetic energy at 100 yards is close to that of a 357 magnum at the muzzle. Accuracy is improved by loading the bullets in 'backwards".

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post

Noah
    Small powder charges in large cases generally work best when the powder is against the primer hence the recommendation above for some filler material.

Primer flame can go across all the powder laying in the bottom of the case and ignite at once as opposed to burning like a fuse when pressed against the primer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast