Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: QUESTION

(Allegheny County)

Default QUESTION

IS IT LEGAL IF USER HAS LTCF TO CARRY SAY A SHOTGUN OR LONG GUN IN VEHICLE. OUTSIDE OF HUNTING SEASON?

(Washington County)

Default Re: QUESTION

It is legal to carry a long gun in the vehicle without a LTCF, except during State of emergency.

NEVER have a loaded long gun in the vehicle. Weapon and mags/ammo in separate containers.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Indiana County)

1. This has been discussed numerous times on the forum, but that's immaterial since you asked.

2. Use of all caps is the internet version of yelling. Too late now, you've already done it.

3. Concerning your question:

a. Whether or not you have an LTCF is immaterial. An LTCF only applies to handguns or short-barrel rifles or shotguns, not the full-sized jobs.

b. Whether it's hunting season or not is likewise immaterial.

c. Full-sized rifles or shotguns can be carried anywhere in the vehicle as long as they are unloaded and the ammunition is located in a separate container.

4. Someone else can provide the actual law citation from Title 34 covering such.

(Jefferson County)

The only times a LTCF has a bearing in PA in regards to long guns are within the City of Philly or during a declared emergency.

As my esteemed colleagues above pointed out - you may not have a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle at any time. There are a couple exceptions to that rule, but only pertain to professionals like LEO's, armed guards, military, and disabled hunters.

Ammo doesn't have to be in a separate container. Loaded detachable magazines have to be in a separate container though. Loose or boxed ammo can be anywhere, even on a sidesaddle or duct taped to the gun. HOWEVER, you cannot have ammo in any chamber or in any non-detachable magazine.

So for example: A pump or semi-auto shotgun with a fixed tubular magazine.
    1. the chamber has to be empty,
    2. the tube mag has to be empty,
    3. but you can have shells on a sidesaddle carrier, or rolling around on the floorboard, or laying beside the gun

Example 2: Saiga shotgun modeled after the AK47 type guns.
    1. chamber empty
    2a. detachable mags empty, or
    2b. detachable mags loaded but in an enclosure that meets the definition below -

snip from § 6102

If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.
    In the end, if the shotgun is unloaded, you may carry it in a vehicle without a license unless you are in Philly or there is an emergency - which then require a LTCF. At no time may you have a loaded long gun in a vehicle.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Hi LONGRANGE, welcome to the PAFOA forums. You may also find it helpful to research the "Sticky" sections at the top of this forum. The information you requested can be found in the "Where Can I Carry" section:

Before you ask, long guns cannot be carried or transported loaded in a vehicle - whether you are licensed or not. Unloaded long guns may be transported throughout the state without a license, except in a City of the First Class(Philly) or during a declared state of emergency - which those two situations require a LTCF. Loaded magazines must be in a separate container, loose or boxed ammo can be anywhere near the gun.

(Allegheny County)

Thank you to all who have answered my question. Sorry for using all caps typed on work computer and it requires all caps for customer copy didn't think to change it. First time on PAFOA forum usually only go on classifieds.

(Indiana County)

This discussion wasn't classified, was it?

Nope, on second thought, I don't think it was since you went here instead of the classifieds.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by LONGRANGE View Post
    Thank you to all who have answered my question. Sorry for using all caps typed on work computer and it requires all caps for customer copy didn't think to change it. First time on PAFOA forum usually only go on classifieds.
    Some folks take offense to the all caps, some don't. I too have to work in all caps for my job - so I completely understand.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!