Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default LTCF Approval w/ARD

I was charged years ago with harassment, misdemeanor 3. I completed ARD and my record was expunged. I have bought firearms and passed the PICS a number of times post ARD. Will I be able to get a LTCF, or will my previous charges (though they were dropped and the record expunged) prevent me? I have read on some threds thath the Sheriff has a lot of lattitude to deny. I have also read that a LTCF is a "shall issue" if one meets the criteria which I do. Seems to be lots of misinformation out there on this. Again, I do not have any disqualifying criteria, but I am sure the PSP has a record of the original arrest. Curious if I can pass the PICS for purchases; if I can also pass it for LTCF. Also, has it been the experience that the Sheriff usually does call references? This seems pointless to me since a person would only put someone down that would say good things about them.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: LTCF Approval w/ARD

Quote Originally Posted by jhead View Post
    I was charged years ago with harassment, misdemeanor 3. I completed ARD and my record was expunged. I have bought firearms and passed the PICS a number of times post ARD. Will I be able to get a LTCF, or will my previous charges (though they were dropped and the record expunged) prevent me? I have read on some threds thath the Sheriff has a lot of lattitude to deny. I have also read that a LTCF is a "shall issue" if one meets the criteria which I do. Seems to be lots of misinformation out there on this. Again, I do not have any disqualifying criteria, but I am sure the PSP has a record of the original arrest. Curious if I can pass the PICS for purchases; if I can also pass it for LTCF. Also, has it been the experience that the Sheriff usually does call references? This seems pointless to me since a person would only put someone down that would say good things about them.
    Despite ARD, some sheriffs, like the lovely Sheriff David here in Beaver Co., will use just about anything against you to deny a LTCF. If you have something criminal on your record, the sheriff can envoke 6109(e)(1)(i) Character and Reputation clause. It all depends on your particular sheriff. My gf was recently denied and told her denial would be permanent despite her ARD until her record was expunged (which was fortunately a part of her ARD). As I said, it's on a sheriff by sheriff basis depending on how lenient he/she wants to be.

Despite her nickname ("Bunny"), the Chester County sheriff is consistently pro-2A. Her department recently auctioned off a donated "evil black rifle" for charity despite the predictable protests in the press. They normally don't contact references, but may if they find that you're not squeaky clean. Since it's been some time and the arrest has been expunged, you're probably OK. You might call and ask -- they probably won't say you would be approved, but may tell you if your situation would disqualify an applicant on the nebulous character clause.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingjunkie View Post
    Despite ARD, some sheriffs, like the lovely Sheriff David here in Beaver Co., will use just about anything against you to deny a LTCF. If you have something criminal on your record, the sheriff can envoke 6109(e)(1)(i) Character and Reputation clause. It all depends on your particular sheriff. My gf was recently denied and told her denial would be permanent despite her ARD until her record was expunged (which was fortunately a part of her ARD). As I said, it's on a sheriff by sheriff basis depending on how lenient he/she wants to be.
    I can't believe he is still allowed to be on the job. I expected paid administrative leave and allowing Chief Deputy Alstadt to assume a temporary appointment until the matter is settled. I know due process and innocent until proven guilty, but I would expect a paid vacation for someone charged with terroristic threats.

Anyways, on topic, the only thing it looks like they could deny you on is the C & R clause, and I would do some research to see if it has truly been expunged. Streaker69 posted this in another thread(I removed some things not relevant to you):

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    <snip>
    You can go here, type in your name and select any one of the Docket types to see your record: http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/MDJ.aspx

Same thing here: http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/CP.aspx
    <snip>
    That seems like a good place to start the search.

jhead, I just noticed that you list your location as Chester, PA and Chester County. The city of Chester is in Delaware county. Which is it? Delaware County is much more likely to give you a hassle.

(Chester County)

I live in Oxford. I typed chester by accident, thinkning it was the county vs city. So yes I live in Chester County.

(Chester County)

I checked the ujsportal link and there is no record. Also, ran a chekc via the PSP and it shows no record. Guess we shall see once I submit the paperwork....

(Bucks County)

I checked the ujsportal link and there is no record. Also, ran a chekc via the PSP and it shows no record. Guess we shall see once I submit the paperwork....
    I had ARD in Bucks for an M1 and a couple other things and renewed my LTCF after it was all finished with no issues. Also called the sheriff after I received all of my expungement letters to ask if it was still valid and it wasn't revoked during the ARD or because of the charges.

Again, this was Bucks County but my LTCF was from Montgomery but I had no problem at all once the ARD was finished.

It would be interesting to know if they contact your references. Normally, Chester county doesn't.

(Allegheny County)

I have an out of state ARD for trespassing from when I was about 19. Had no trouble getting my LTCF at 21 or renewal at 26 but the original charge likely wouldn't have gotten me denied anyhow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast