Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Appendix Carry

(Cambria County)

Default Appendix Carry

Been seeing more and more about carrying a pistol Appendix Style. I can see where this would be a pretty good way to carry if your standing all the time. But what about when your sitting down, or bending over. Does anyone carry this way? What are your thoughts on this style of carry?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Default Re: Appendix Carry

My wife does daily. An LCP in a full grain leather Galco holster. Works quite well for her in dress slacks and business attire.

I have myself on a few occasions. Full size 1911 to an LCP. Prefer a smaller sized firearm for carry in this manner.

Just another mode of carry based on activity and dress. No problems from my perspective.

CL

I really want to like carrying that way, but no matter what I do, I can't sit down. Maybe with a smaller gun (carrying a SIG p229) or a holster specifically designed for appendix carry will help. But I don't really want to spend $50 on a holster just to be told what I already know.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Cambria County)

Did you find that you could sit down, bend over, while wearing your pistol this way?

It looks like it would be a good way for me to carry at work. But I'm bending over, sitting down, getting back up, a lot. It seems like the firearm would dig into your crotch or belly while doing these things.

If your just standing up all day, it does look like it would work great.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Beaver County)

I used to appendix carry an XD40 about 10 yrs ago. Drove a wrecker back then. Wasn't the most comfortable, but it got the job done. Bought a couple different OWB holsters and haven't looked back...
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

(Monroe County)

I tried it once. But I carry a full size 1911, so if I have it a little too far to the right, the barrel is jabbing me in the thigh when I sit/bend over. A little too far to the left, and... Well, let's just say that no man is comfortable when the barrel of a loaded pistol is caressing his junk.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Allegheny County)

I just started carrying appendix a few months ago. I carry a G26 in a Remora/Sticky IWB no-clip knock-off made by ACE. I don't always carry this way. Only when I want to throw it on to quickly run somewhere. It's very comfortable and stays in place walking and sitting. I don't have any issues with it poking me when sitting/driving (at least with the G26). I like appendix because it is very easy to access and doesn't stick out like a OWB or IWB at 3-4 O'clock. The stickiness of the holster will even hold it in place while wearing a pair of sweat pants. The only issue is re-holstering. It can't be done with the holster in place because it collapses when the gun is removed. You have to remove the holster and insert the gun, then place it back IWB.

Remora (I think) has a reinforced (stiffer) opening to help with re-holstering.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4izM0fiz6kk
    Toujours prêt

(Montgomery County)

I started out strong side, but have been carrying appendix since the summer of 2011. That was when I began taking classes with Suarez International. They recommended this way of carry and truth be told if it didn't work for me I wouldn't carry that way no matter who recommended it. I find it to be superior to strong side in virtually every way. More comfortable, less printing, more control over the weapon if someone were trying to get at it/take in a hand to hand situation and easily the fastest draw! Sitting down no problem and driving in the car far more accessible then strong side. The two points I would make, fat/weight around the gut I think will reduce the comfort factor and a good holster is a must. I have a Dale fricks archangel, this also a consideration because most of the time when someone shoots self it's coming into or out of the holster (bad thing when the muzzle is pointed at your junk) I highly recommend trying out AIWB

(Mercer County)

One of the problems with carrying appendix is one tactical in nature. If you look at the statistics involved with self defense encounters, they are typically up-close and personal, with very little space between the two parties. When you attempt to draw a gun from appendix, it is very easy for your attacker to see what you're doing, and equally simple for him to stop it. By stepping into you and pinning your arm, you've lost all leverage, and your attacker has taken control.

Conversely, when you carry strong side, your gun is relatively far away from your attacker when facing him, and you have more room/space/time to react. This all lends itself to you more easily being able to defend yourself.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    One of the problems with carrying appendix is one tactical in nature. If you look at the statistics involved with self defense encounters, they are typically up-close and personal, with very little space between the two parties. When you attempt to draw a gun from appendix, it is very easy for your attacker to see what you're doing, and equally simple for him to stop it. By stepping into you and pinning your arm, you've lost all leverage, and your attacker has taken control.

Conversely, when you carry strong side, your gun is relatively far away from your attacker when facing him, and you have more room/space/time to react. This all lends itself to you more easily being able to defend yourself.
    I'd agree with this. Most likely they are going to ask you for your wallet when confronted. While reaching for my wallet I'd make sure to grab my gun that's right above it instead.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast