Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default pulled over in thurmont thursday

Ok this past thurs evening the wife n I was driving through thurmont on our way home from a camping trip we had for our anniversary when I was pulled over by a Frederick county sheriff. Once she gets to my window she informs me I was pulled over cause I wasn't wearing my seatbelt, yet I was it just wasn't over my shoulder it was under my arm. We'll she asked for info n I gave it to her n it took her forever to run it. While sitting there I was running through my head "is Maryland a you have to inform about firearms or not?" The reason I thought that os cause I gave my wife a s&w 38 SPL j frame for her conceal carry for our anniversary n also had my 9, 40, 30-06, 22lr n 12ga shotgun to do some target practice. We'll when she finally comes back she issues me a written warning n told me that there was a proper way to wear a seatbelt n that's over the shoulder, if I didn't start wearing it that way I will be pulled over all the time. Sorry for the long post but I'm curious, is there a "proper" way that is law to wear a seatbelt? I always figured if I'm wearing it n any configuration your STILL wearing it therefor well within the law. What do u guys think?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: pulled over in thurmont thursday

Quote Originally Posted by spooky326 View Post
    Ok this past thurs evening the wife n I was driving through thurmont on our way home from a camping trip we had for our anniversary when I was pulled over by a Frederick county sheriff. Once she gets to my window she informs me I was pulled over cause I wasn't wearing my seatbelt, yet I was it just wasn't over my shoulder it was under my arm. We'll she asked for info n I gave it to her n it took her forever to run it. While sitting there I was running through my head "is Maryland a you have to inform about firearms or not?" The reason I thought that os cause I gave my wife a s&w 38 SPL j frame for her conceal carry for our anniversary n also had my 9, 40, 30-06, 22lr n 12ga shotgun to do some target practice. We'll when she finally comes back she issues me a written warning n told me that there was a proper way to wear a seatbelt n that's over the shoulder, if I didn't start wearing it that way I will be pulled over all the time. Sorry for the long post but I'm curious, is there a "proper" way that is law to wear a seatbelt? I always figured if I'm wearing it n any configuration your STILL wearing it therefor well within the law. What do u guys think?
    Are you suggesting that your wife was carrying a concealed firearm in Maryland? Without a MD carry permit?

Just wondering.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

I have to wonder how dangerous it is to wear a seatbelt in a manner it was not designed to be worn. Sounds risky.

Maybe you're old enough to have worn them when they just went across your lap and that's why you feel it's OK?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I have to wonder how dangerous it is to wear a seatbelt in a manner it was not designed to be worn. Sounds risky.

Maybe you're old enough to have worn them when they just went across your lap and that's why you feel it's OK?
    Agreed. My guess is that in an accident it would not function as designed.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(York County)

Regarding the firearms, Maryland is not a must-inform state. I can't answer the legality of your seatbelt question, but it sounds like she was just saying you should expect to be stopped simply because they can't see it if it's worn the way you did.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Have an accident wearing it the way you want to wear it. Then have another one wearing it properly. See which one is better. I am betting it is the latter.
    Last edited by ShelbyGoat; July 21st, 2013 at 04:23 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Seatbelts are designed that way for a reason. Enjoy your crushed ribcage.

(Franklin County)

To answer your seatbelt question, a seatbelt in MD is considered to be a seatbelt/shoulder harness combination. I would think that if yopu were not wearing your shoulder harness, that would be a violation.
    AAs for informing, if you or your wife do not have a MD permit to carry, it's a good thing you didn't inform, I speak from experience.

Ok this past thurs evening the wife n I was driving through thurmont on our way home from a camping trip we had for our anniversary when I was pulled over by a Frederick county sheriff. Once she gets to my window she informs me I was pulled over cause I wasn't wearing my seatbelt, yet I was it just wasn't over my shoulder it was under my arm.
    WHy not just wear it normally ? Without it going over the shoulder it really won't be very effective...

(Franklin County)

Wow I wasnt expecting to get my ass chewed for asking a simple seatbelt question. I'm sure EVERYONE on here where's there's 100% of the time n always properly. I had it under my arm cause it was digging into my neck n I was sunburnt. As for the firearms, each one was in a case under lock and key and all the ammo n magazines was unloaded and in a different case under lock and key as well as buried under a lot of camping gear. An yes I am old enough to remember just lap belts in vehicles.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast