Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allentown Fair

(Lehigh County)

Default Allentown Fair

I wanted to share a concern of mine with the pafoa community and possibly get you all to help out.

My family is a little upset with me right now because their was a large number of them getting together to go to the fair this year. Before I gave them an answer on whether I would attend, I looked up the fairs website to review their policies. There was no mention of weapons or firearms not being allowed on the premises, but there was also no link to ANY policies, except for the concert ticket policies. For those who are not familiar with the fairgrounds, they are owned by the Lehigh county agricultural society, thus private property. So, I made a phone call to the fair office (610-433-7541). I spoke to a nice lady who did not have an answer, but connected me to a gentleman who would answer my question. Our conversation went like this, not word for word..

I explained that I was inquiring about the fairs rules and policies since I could not find anything on their website.
    He asked me what information I was looking for.
    I told him I wanted to know if they had a policy and posted signs at the gates which would prevent me from carrying my firearm as a LTCF holder.
    His first question was said in a rather sarcastic tone, "why would you need to bring a gun to the fair?"
    I stated that I feel it is my responsibility to provide sufficient defense of myself and my family should the situation arise. I explained again that I would be legally carrying the firearm as a LTCF holder.
    He was still confused and asked if I was a police officer or detective that is required to carry a gun when off duty.
    I again stated no, that I was a law abiding citizen trying to ensure my families safety when traveling to a city like Allentown.
    He then stated that their policy was always, pretty much if an off duty cop can explain why they need to carry a gun, they would probably allow it, but not for anyone. He also explained that the fair is not in center city, but on the west end where there is not much crime (maybe LESS, but still a lot more than I care to submit to).
    I told him I thought the policy was unfortunate and that I appreciated his time, and informed him that me and my family will not be attending the fair due to this "policy".

So I'm hoping that their are others in the area that might make a phone call and inquire about the same issue and similarly let them know that they will not be attending because of this policy.

Am I being unrealistic to think they should allow LTCF holders to excerisize their right to self defense in the fair? I see it as another case of misunderstanding the intent of law abiding citizens. I also understand their right to enforce this policy, but I for one will not be attending because of it. No sweat off my back, I hate crowds like that anyway, but as I said, the family is disappointed...
    Last edited by bauer4567; July 19th, 2013 at 10:26 PM.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Allentown Fair

Just about any venue or store or restaurant or public place you call with give you a similar answer.

Happy Dialing!

(Lehigh County)

I'm not a big fan of A-town either I stay away as much as possible. And there is just as much crime out that way i'm sure of especially around fair time. I've never ever seen a sign saying no firearms. As I am a LTCF holder I have been there and carried my firearm with me and kept concealed the whole time with no issues but if they decide to post it at the gates in writing or tell me to leave the premises I will no longer go there. I don't see what the problem is considering they hold Gun Shows at AG hall yearly which if it would become an issue I would see that changing.

(York County)

From my past experience, and understanding, myself in your situation would carry to the fair. I have in years past and will continue to do so. Yes the fair grounds are private property but no where is it posted that they do not allow firearms into the premises. Also if you are concealing then what they don't know, won't hurt them IMO. If the situation ever arises that they find out, if you were to open carry of have a wardrobe malfunction and another bystander notices and gets scared and reports it, then all they would do is ask you to disarm and leave it in your vehicle (not recommended) or leave to which you would have to comply. There are no metal detectors or searches so you'll be fine. The gentleman you talked to probably didn't have an exact answer for you judging from the paraphrased conversation you shared so he gave his own personal view and opinion as someone who doesn't believe in our 2nd amendment rights. Without and state or federal law prohibiting it, and no clear posted policy by the property owner, as a LTCF holder it is legal to cary. I would conceal to prevent unneeded hassle.

You have a right to say no and if you feel uncomfortable carrying or unable to carry then I do not believe your in the wrong or taking it too far. Good Luck

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bjhodge2 View Post
    From my past experience, and understanding, myself in your situation would carry to the fair. I have in years past and will continue to do so. Yes the fair grounds are private property but no where is it posted that they do not allow firearms into the premises. Also if you are concealing then what they don't know, won't hurt them IMO. If the situation ever arises that they find out, if you were to open carry of have a wardrobe malfunction and another bystander notices and gets scared and reports it, then all they would do is ask you to disarm and leave it in your vehicle (not recommended) or leave to which you would have to comply. There are no metal detectors or searches so you'll be fine. The gentleman you talked to probably didn't have an exact answer for you judging from the paraphrased conversation you shared so he gave his own personal view and opinion as someone who doesn't believe in our 2nd amendment rights. Without and state or federal law prohibiting it, and no clear posted policy by the property owner, as a LTCF holder it is legal to cary. I would conceal to prevent unneeded hassle.

You have a right to say no and if you feel uncomfortable carrying or unable to carry then I do not believe your in the wrong or taking it too far. Good Luck
    Quoted for truth. I doubt there will be any signs and I'm going to venture and say that guy didnt know what he waz talking about and that there isn't a specific policy prohibiting carry.

Concealed means concealed. Go have a good time and don't over think it.

(Bucks County)

Last year I attended the Sugarland concert held during the Allentown fair. At the gate to enter the venue security officials were checking attendee's bags for outside beverages but had no metal detectors or pat downs at all. I carried comfortably for the entire day while attending the concert. This treatment astounded me as my first concert experience (just 2 months earlier) was in Camden, where I felt like I was being accosted by the TSA.

My ease of carry at the concert last year is the main reason that I am going back to the fair this year. If you keep your gun concealed I don't think you will have any issues.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bauer4567 View Post
    His first question was said in a rather sarcastic tone, "why would you need to bring a gun to the fair?"
    This is the first question most antis will ask, It's almost self Identifying. I have been to this fair and can tell you that I have never seen a sign at the gates relating to firearms. APD is usually at the main entrance and I have gone in while printing badly, not a word was said to me and I am sure they noticed.

(Chester County)

Just as a caution but calling these places stating they have no signs prohibiting firearms and stating your self defense beliefs (which clearly he doesn't understand) can often set up a red flag to them, which in turn, may actually start the ball rolling on a "No firearms" policy with subsequent sign placement.

Not saying you did anything wrong but now they are reminded that evil firearms may now be sneaking into there facility and they don't have an official policy addressing it

Just something to think about

You have a LTCF and although it's private property there is no signage, therefore I believe you are 100% legal to conceal carry. His "feeling" on the matter means nothing until something is in writing and/or he specifically stops you and tells you to leave secondary to a "No firearms" policy.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Delaware County)

If there's no sign prohibiting it I'd carry anyway.

I've carried multiple times without issue. I've never seen a sign. Then again I've never felt the need to call and ask someone if I could partake in a legal activity. To each their own I guess.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast