Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Hornady LnL AP & Hornady Customer Service

Changed over to run some 223 on my Hornady LnL AP, and noticed that about 0.1gr of powder was popping out of the case as the press indexed to the next step. I had not noticed this problem when running 9mm and 45ACP.

The press was indexing "violently" because the pawls were releasing early and then the shell plate's ball bearings rapidly centered themselves in their stops (double-click). I followed the manual to adjust the pawls, but raising the pawls jammed the press BEFORE they were high enough to stop the double-click.

Called Hornady at about 4PM EDT, and connected to a tech rep in 6 minutes. He took me through making two 1/16th inch adjustments in the pawl screws. At that point I told him I had done exactly this the night before until I jammed the press.

He immediately said that he was confident the problem was the pawls themselves (or their holes) were not in the correct place in the "Assembly Toggle". They needed to be further back, and he would send me a new one.

30 minutes later I got an email saying the parts were ordered.

Three conclusions:
    - Hornady has experienced some number of incorrectly machined presses - ie, this is a known problem.
    - Since the press could never be properly adjusted (ie, it would always have a double-click), proper adjustment was not or is really never tested at the factory.
    - Their customer service responded pretty well and very fast.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: Hornady LnL AP & Hornady Customer Service

Their cust. service is top notch.

Eager to help and quick to replace parts.

I had trouble with their 9mm shellplate a couple years back... turned out whoever they had making them for Hornady was not doing something right and the plate was warped and would hang up the press.

They were on the fix quick and sent out a new shellplate after they tried it first in their shop to be sure it was good.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Default Re: Hornady LnL AP & Hornady Customer Service

For general fast-snapping shell plates, not incorrectly machined parts, I used thick marine grease on the shell plate and tightened the bolt down pretty firmly.
    Do the same on Dillons, so it is a shell plate and not a manufacturer issue.
    Next, how could the improve the CS you had?
    About the only way I could see improvement is if they sent me a shipping box, pre-paid, so they could do the fixing.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    For general fast-snapping shell plates, not incorrectly machined parts, I used thick marine grease on the shell plate and tightened the bolt down pretty firmly.
    Do the same on Dillons, so it is a shell plate and not a manufacturer issue.
    Next, how could the improve the CS you had?
    About the only way I could see improvement is if they sent me a shipping box, pre-paid, so they could do the fixing.
    If you are saying MY issue is a shell plate issue, that's incorrect. If not, sorry I misunderstood.

I made no complaint about Hornady's CS. The prompt answer to my telephone call and prompt order placement were as much as anyone could ask. That portion was intended to be complimentary.

The fact that the press could NOT have been properly adjusted at the factory, and should have been caught in QC has nothing to do with the CS function itself. OTOH, you could make a case that poor QA is also poor CS. Alternatively, I have no way of knowing if this was a one-off occurrence.

Added note: it took one week to ship the part, so I haven't received it yet. But I'm not gonna complain about that in this environment lol.

(Montgomery County)

Hornady Customer Service is great.

My biggest complaint is that I've had to contact them so many times when I first bought the press, that I am at the point now I don't even bother (now my fault) when there are problems.

There seems to be a quality control issue with some of their parts. They are very quick to replace items though.

I fixed the problem myself. I bought another Dillon. Hopefully now I won't have any more problems with the Hornady.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

>For general fast-snapping shell plates, not incorrectly machined parts...

Since you said you have incorrect machined parts, then I would say my statement was not directed at you but a general statement about snappy shell plates that almost all progressive loaders have had issues with of all brands.