Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Question About Knives

I want to get a self defense knife(as a secondary to my carry) that also could be used as an auxiliary knife for day to day use. I am looking for a folding knife that would also have a spring assist. I am looking at spending around $50. Also were is a good place to buy knife in the King of Prussia Area?

Thank,
    Nick.
    I will die, You will die, we all will die, just not today Patton, Battle of the Bulge.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Question About Knives

Here is the one that I have\use. It holds a very sharp edge even after skinning whatever it was you just shot and is a great all around knife. If there isn't a BassPro nearby, just order it and they will ship it to you. http://www.basspro.com/Buck-Quickfir...&kpid=10207364

Just one to consider. I hope this helps.

Dave

(Elk County)

I carry a Kershaw Speed Safe knife. They come in a variety of sizes and have a pocket clip on them. Most models can be had for <$50. Some have Ken Onion designed blades. Mine holds an edge fine. I have been carrying it for about 3 years now. It replaced a Ka-Bar Warthog folder that wouldn't keep an edge. I really wanted to stay local, (Ka-Bar's factory is only an hour away) but if even the replacement won't hold an edge it's time to move on.

(Delaware County)

There are so many fine quality knives out there now. When I was coming up you had the Buck 110, K-55 german running wolf lockback and only a few others that were not old style slipjoint folders(non-locking).
    It's great if you can handle one first but not always possible. The Phila. area never had many knife retailers-but there were a few. i remember looking at knife ads in magazines. Some looked OK, but when I handled them in a store it felt awkward or too small/big,etc. Same problem with internet bargains.
    One comment on assisted openers. I've handled knives for decades and am fast. The assisted openers feel awkward to me as I keep trying to open it myself it myself and overdo it. Handle one first.
    I have most of the major brands an IMHO feel Kershaw offers the most bang for the buck follwed by Buck.
    Last edited by timdennis; July 19th, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
    Tim

(Montgomery County)

www.bladehq.com best option to get a knife.

Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, SOG, CRKT, Gerber, Boker are all good knives. Id stay away from anything lower then Gerber or CRKT like Smith and Wesson knives. The SW are good for work thats about it, I wouldnt want to rely on one.
    Last edited by JW1914; July 19th, 2013 at 11:54 PM.
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

(Philadelphia County)

This is my EDC knife: http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Specialty-...ds=SOG+Trident

I bought one at Dicks [before they were dicks to us], for $40 on sale. I absolutely love this knife. When I thought I lost it I freaked out and almost cried. There are very few products I fall in love with, but I'll own a SOG knife until I die and maybe even after.

Great knives, You won't be disappointed.

If you plan on having the blade for back up SD, I would not use it for utility work. You want the edge to be as sharp as it can be if it may be used to save your own butt.

Carry a small SAK or similar knife for utility chores, keep the back up 'cutting tool' razor sharp until it's really needed.

I recommend a knife with a reputation for strong locks. Spyderco and Cold Steel are reputable brands that thoroughly test their locking mechanisms. The last thing you want is for the blade to close on your hands and for your new name to be Stumpy.

I would look into some training as well. Michael Janich's work is really among the best out there.

(Franklin County)

Take the 1 hour drive to Intercourse PA and visit this place:
    http://www.countryknives.com/

They have them all, touch and hold and feel and see what you like best~buy there or Amazon but at least get your hands on it...it's a nice shop.
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Philadelphia County)

I endorse CRKT knives. They are affordable and high quality in my opinion. The auto-lawks feature is very useful and it will not close on you unless you close it.

(Berks County)

I second hooknladder's response. I've had Kershaw's for about 7 or 8 years. You can find Kershaw knives at most of the bigger stores like WalMart. I bought mine at the OfficerStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast