Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 smiths

(Perry County)

Default 1911 smiths

I had been working on a custom 1911 build from scratch with my uncle. Unfortunately his health started failing several months ago and we never got to finish it.

He passed away this morning in his sleep.

I tried to continue working on it myself but this was my first time doing this.
    I've hit a wall right now where I'm not sure what to do. I see several issues but not sure how to remedy them, nor do I have many tools to remedy them (if they can even be remedied).

Is there a 1911 smith in the central PA area that you guys can recommend? I know Jim Garthwaite is about an hour from me and he has won awards.

Ideally, I'd like to find someone that would continue where my uncle left off in teaching me how to build this or at least let me watch as he works on it.

Also, I don't have much disposable income right now, so this might be something that has to wait awhile anyway.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: 1911 smiths

Garthwaite is one of the best in the nation. If you don't mind shipping it, look at Alchemy Custom. They're good people who do good work. A guy bought a rough 1911 that he thought was a Baer, but found out it wasn't. Alchemy Custom felt so bad, they took the gun and built him a sweet shooter, at no cost.

Others I would consider are Rogers Precision, Heirloom Precision, SACS, and Dave Severns.
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; July 17th, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(York County)

Post Re: 1911 smiths

Sorry to hear about your uncle,

Give Bill Landon a call and talk to him about what you want to do he probably will be able to help you out.

He is located in the Hummelstown / Hershey area and his number is 717-566-2131 he is open in the evenings after 4:30.

Good luck.
    Every day's a Saturday

Carlisle Gun Works is another option and it is closer to you. Mike specializes in 1911s.

www.carlislegunworks.com

(Cumberland County)

I agree with MT1. Mike at Carlisle Gun Works has reworked a 1911 for me and I was very pleased. Mine was a very basic military model. Mike installed a beaver tail grip safety and commander hammer, reworked the trigger pull, installed a new ejector and night sights. He smoothed and tightened the side to frame rail so it does not rattle like it did. Best of all he redid all the external metal parts, except the stainless steel slide, trigger and hammer, with a new black finish that is tough as nails. New wood grips finished the whole thing off. Gun shoots like a dream.

Highly recommend Mike at Carlisle Gun works! He is easy to get along with, listens to what you want and make recommendations and then completes the work as agreed to and in a timely fashion. All work done was at a very reasonable price, estimate was up front and there were no hidden expenses.

(York County)

Hi,
    I don't know how long ago you posted about your 1911, but I am a gunsmith in Seven Valleys. I build custom 1911's and would be happy to help you out. You can get in touch with me at Sells Sporting Goods in Hanover. I do all of their repair work and I am at the store on Saturdays.
    Tom

(Perry County)

My aunt gave me all of my uncle's 1911 tools and spare parts. Now I just need to learn how to finish the rest.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    My aunt gave me all of my uncle's 1911 tools and spare parts. Now I just need to learn how to finish the rest.
    Get Jerry Kuhnhausen's book. If nothing else it will help you understand the design better.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Get Jerry Kuhnhausen's book. If nothing else it will help you understand the design better.
    I'll second this suggestion in a heartbeat. Kuhnhausens book The Colt 45 Automatic, A shop Manual will tell you everything you would want to know about the 1911.

You can get it a Brownells or MidwayUSA for about $30. Probably Amazon too.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    yep, uncle gave that to me before he passed away. I want to get te 2nd book eventually, unless he has it in his collection (which I was told I could have anything I wanted from there - he has lots of gunsmithing books).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast