Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Will I get it... LTCF?

Got my gun rights taken away in AZ when I was a juvenile. Recently had them restored. And my record has been "destroyed". I answered "no" on the application when asked if I've ever been arrested or if my gun rights are taken away. Was I wrong to do that since I technically have no record now, and my gun rights back?
    Last edited by Than0s; July 16th, 2013 at 11:44 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Will I get it... LTCF?

Does the destruction of your records mean that you were never arrested?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Butler County)

Thats what im trying to figure out. I hope thats what it means.

(Chester County)

There is no question that asks "Have you ever been arrested" on the Butler Co. LTCF application.

If you are referring to questions 31 - 34, they include the conditions that would require you respond with Yes if convicted of, or currently charged with certain crimes. But I'll assume that since you lost your gun rights in AZ, you were not just arrested, but convicted or plead guilty.

IMHO signing this statement is what you should be most concerned about.

41. I have never been convicted of a crime that prohibits me from possessing or acquiring a firearm under Federal or State law. I am of sound mind and have never been committed to a mental institution or mental health care facility. I hereby certify that the statements contained herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. I understand that if I knowingly make any false statements herein, I am subject to penalties prescribed by law. I authorize the sheriff, or his designee, or, in the case of first class cities, the chief or head of the police department, or his designee, to inspect only those records or documents relevant to information required for this application. If I am issued a license and knowingly become ineligible to legally possess or acquire firearms, I will promptly notify the sheriff of the county in which I reside or, if I reside in a city of the first class, the chief of police of that city. This certification is made subject to both the penalties of section 4904 of the Crimes Code (18 Pa.C.S. 4904) relating to unsworn falsifications to authorities and the Uniform Firearms Act.
    I'm not sure if the term "State law" means any state, or just PA law.

IMHO, your AZ history most likely will not come up in the LTCF background check if your crime was not one enumerated in the instructions for questions 31-34 or a federal crime and the records were "destroyed" (unless of course, the Butler Co. Sheriff reads this thread), but this is something you definitely should have consulted with an attorney knowledgable in PA and Federal gun laws before signing and submitting your Sheriff. Now you're shutting the barn door after the horse got out.

ETA: Probably not a good idea to use your real name to register and confess your sins. On the other hand, a quick google of AZ court records seems to indicate that your offense was traffic related (doing something probably 99% of 17 y/o male drivers have done), and not one which I would think should cause your application to be denied, but again, you probably should have consulted with an attorney before signing statement 41 and submitting the application.

oblig: IANAL
    Last edited by str8shooter; July 16th, 2013 at 12:46 PM.

(Butler County)

Yes that's what I was referring to, thanks. I answered no because that was a juvenile conviction that was said to be destroyed and rights restored. I was under the assumption that if they would look at my record it would look like a normal clean record since everything was put back to normal. They're not sealed, I never went to jail, they were destroyed. No record of having a record.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by derickhavener View Post
    Yes that's what I was referring to, thanks. I answered no because that was a juvenile conviction that was said to be destroyed and rights restored. I was under the assumption that if they would look at my record it would look like a normal clean record since everything was put back to normal. They're not sealed, I never went to jail, they were destroyed. No record of having a record.

On thing is certain, at least. You're about to find out.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Montgomery County)

If your middle name is William - you may want to google your own name & see what Maricopa county has to say about you.

You should also know it's not a good idea to put your info out on the web and admit to something that's in your past. Especially when it comes to people searching up your background.

(Butler County)

Question Re: Will I get it... LTCF?

str8shooter, thanks for the advice. i was just so excited i finally got my rights back that i might have approached this all wrong and too fast. i'll maybe change my name to "im r3tarded" or something. that google search you did does not show what i was arrested for. i can tell you right now it had nothing to do with a traffic violation. if i get denied will they contact me? and am i able to re apply?

(Lackawanna County)

Dont sign a form saying you were never arrested when it is a lie. You are going to get denied and potentially cause other problems for yourself

(Butler County)

point heard thanks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast