Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default UPIN IN PENNSYLVANIA

Ladies and Gentlemen how are you all doing?. I have a question maybe someone here may be able to help me out.First let me explain my situation.I am from new york city and I know you all know how tough gun laws are here. I got my pistol license and went for my first handgun I got delayed 3 days later I got denied. So I went back to the NYPD headquarter explain to them my situation they didn't know why I got denied.New York City gives a pistol license I went to buy a handgun in New York City I get denied and they don't know why, anyways it took me almost 5 months to get approved after sending all kinds of paper to the FBI and finger prints. It takes 120 days before they can get to your case. They told me they have too many cases waiting. So I got approved also got a VAF application I asked my gun dealer if I should fiil it out and send it back he said no you dont have to they already approved you they got on record I said ok. my next purchase got delay again and denied again.Same problem again waited almost 5 months got approved again and also got a VFA application again but this time I filled out and mailed back to them and about 5 months later I got my "UPIN" never got delay or denied again any gun purchase takes a few minutes and done. I am planning to move to PA my question is will this upin help me in PA or am I going to have same problem since that is a different state. I will really appreciate your help thanks in advance.
    Last edited by GLOCK21163; July 15th, 2013 at 09:59 PM.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: UPIN IN PENNSYLVANIA

Do you have a criminal record? If not, your life is about to get a whole lot better when you move to PA.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Indiana County)

First, none of us here have any idea of what a UPIN or VFA Application is. Please enlighten us.

Here in Free America all one needs to purchase a firearm (handgun, rifle or shotgun) (providing one can show they are a Pennsylvania resident) is to go to the gun store, plop down the required amount of cash (or plastic), fill out one or two government papers, pick up the firearm, and walk out the door. It can be done in as little as five minutes.

Once you have it in your hot little grubbies, you can take it home to have and to hold forever and ever, amen.

Nope, no permission to purchase preapproval crap (fingerprints, blood/stool sample, first-born child, etc.). Of course, if your PICS (Pennsylvania Instant Check System) approval comes back disapproved (it happens), it can be readily appealed.

There is a World of Difference between New York City and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania when it comes to firearms (handguns, rifles or shotguns). Approximately 8.5% of Pennsylvania's adult population is licensed to carry firearms concealed, or in vehicles - all for only $20.00 for a five-year license.

(Northampton County)

In PA, if you want to buy a handgun, you go into an FFL gun shop and buy one. If you don't have a criminal record that prohibits you under PA law, or federal law, and if you haven't been involuntarily committed for psychiatric reasons, you walk out with the gun.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    <snip> and if you haven't been involuntarily committed for psychiatric reasons...
    I went back to the statutes and even the stickies and can't find an absolute answer. Maybe we can get some clarification from GunLawyer001 or someone else smart.

Does living in the P.D.R. of New York or The People's Repubic of New Jerky count as being involuntarily committed if you were born there or moved there before the age of majority?

(York County)

And you can have any size mag you want, no restrictions.

(Indiana County)

And it can be .50-caliber, too.

(Allegheny County)

Do places like walmart run background checks or anything like that if you want to purchase a gun there? Friend of mine wants to get a .22 from there.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by colt45owner777 View Post
    Do places like walmart run background checks or anything like that if you want to purchase a gun there? Friend of mine wants to get a .22 from there.
    Yeah they do, just like any other dealer.

(Lehigh County)

thanks for your response. ok this is how it works in nyc.if you want buy a firearm you go to a FFL dealer you fill out a 4473 then they call the FBI and wait for an approval any little misunderstanding will delay your purchase and if in 3 days it is not cleared you get denied wich mean you have to prove that it is you buying so you have to appeal your denied purchase you have to submit all your information plus finger prints. their concern is that they want to make sure that it is you and not somebody else with your information buying. that is where a upin comes handy. a upin is a "UNIQUE PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER" it is just like a pin number let say someone steals your credit card goes to an ATM machine and tries to get some money if he knows your pin he is going to get money if he doesn't he aint getting nothing.A "VAF"is the application you fill out to get a UPIN.So when ever you decide to purchase a firearm the FFL dealer gives the FBI your upin and they automatically get all your information and they know that it is you because only you are suppose to know your number and you get approved right way. i hope that clears the UPIN AND VAF question.
    Last edited by GLOCK21163; July 14th, 2013 at 10:57 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast