Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SP101 questions

Red face SP101 questions

Last month I bought a new Ruger SP101 .357 mag. It has the 2.25'' barrel.

I like the gun a lot, and it is my only carry piece.

Upon CLOSE inspection of the barrel, it seems the barrel is SLIGHTLY twisted in relation to the frame. When I say slight, I mean you can just make it out if it's perfect lighting. See Pic attached.

When I look down the sights, no matter how hard I try, I cannot notice any difference, left or right, with the front sight in relation to the rear sights. And I cannot notice the front sight being off in relation to the groove on the top of the frame.

I've also attached some photos of shooting I did with .357 mag, 158 gr. loads. These shots were done at ~7 yards, maybe slightly further.

I'm somewhat of a beginner shooter, so please go easy on my shooting skills at this point.

My question is, should I be concerned with my SP101? It's my only carry piece, and I'm not an expert shooter, so I'd like to know if this gun APPEARS to be within 'SPEC'.

On other targets, I tend to shoot a little to the left. But when I had my Sig P232, I tended to shoot a little to the left as well. So I don't know if the occasional left groupings are me or the guns.

Any advice?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: SP101 questions

Maybe it's because it's a picture but I don't see it. And if it's accurate then it seems like a non issue. The SP101 is a tank of a revolver and it's probably just fine.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

I see what you're getting at...or at least I think I do. I looked at mine an it's the same condition. Mine is at least 20yrs old. I can't imagine that minor twist is going to misalign the sight on that short barrel in any significant way.
    You're shooting looks good to me. That gun is a close range deal. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

barrell.jpg
    Last edited by God's Country; July 12th, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    . . . Any advice?

Fuggedaboudit. You and the Ruger are doing just fine, IMO.

I have four SP101s, two are in 22LR and two are in 9mm (no longer made). One of each of them has the barrel/frame misalignment to about the same degree as that on your 357. Aside from it bothering my OCD about things needing to be properly aligned, there is no apparent negative effect on my ability to hit my selected targets out to 25 yds and even slightly beyond. "Minute of Claybird" propped up on edge on the 25 yd berm is my acid test, and all four of my SP101s will do that all day long, if I, the ammo supply, and the claybird supply lasts that long.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Here's a closer picture of the barrel in relation to the frame.

Like I said, when looking down the sights I can't see a difference.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Here's a closer picture of the barrel in relation to the frame.

Like I said, when looking down the sights I can't see a difference.
    Using your photo I see a difference where the arrows are, check your photo again at those points. It does seem off. I looked at my SP101 .357 and that area is straight across.

Bottom line though, you're hitting what you aim at, it's not something to lose sleep over.

Poor QC if you ask me. If it bothers you (i know it would bother me) get'er aligned..

Thanks for all the informative replies.

Many here seem to have a slight mis-alignment with their SP101's as well.

Like I said, I'm not a real seasoned shooter. The purpose of my Ruger is to protect myself and my family. While I prefer 100 percent perfection in fit and finish (I collect cutlery), with my Ruger, my main concern is whether this gun is within acceptable SPECS for it's intended purpose: self defense revolver.

(York County)

Shouldn't affect the guns mechanical accuracy at all because it's really only the barrel shroud that's misaligned. I'm surprised you don't notice a slight tilt to the front sight when lining up the shot.

If it's not messing with your accuracy, which it doesn't appear to be from your targets, then don't worry about it. If it's really bothering you I'm sure Ruger will make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by hss.strat View Post
    Shouldn't affect the guns mechanical accuracy at all because it's really only the barrel shroud that's misaligned. I'm surprised you don't notice a slight tilt to the front sight when lining up the shot.

If it's not messing with your accuracy, which it doesn't appear to be from your targets, then don't worry about it. If it's really bothering you I'm sure Ruger will make it right.
    Here's the best I could do with respect to looking down the sites. Note the 'groove' in the top frame, seems to line up with the front site as well.

I did my best to keep the gun 'straight'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast