Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virgin firearms

(Lancaster County)

Default Virgin firearms

How many of you would pass up a LNIB or used firearm because you need to have a virgin new one?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Virgin firearms

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPM View Post
    How many of you would pass up a LNIB or used firearm because you need to have a virgin new one?
    Not me. If a gun was taken care of I have no qualms taking it in as my own.

In fact, I'd say I'm more likely to buy used than new but that is just due to my budgetary situation.

(Beaver County)

Depends on then gun and the price. I'm not buying your LNIB Glock for 500. I will buy your LNIB 1894 Marlin CSS for 1200 though.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; July 11th, 2013 at 06:39 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Totez View Post
    Not me. If a gun was taken care of I have no qualms taking it in as my own.

In fact, I'd say I'm more likely to buy used than new but that is just due to my budgetary situation.

+1, except I have even purchased firearms that were not well taken care of because the price was "a steal".

Out of every gun I have ever owned I'm running right around 50-50 new/used. About 75% of the used ones were incredible bargains, and only one ever needed any service whatsoever.

FWIW, I have never dealt in safe queens. I have never had an interest in buying something I wasn't going to shoot and well-use. Of course, I don;t think I've ever been wealthy enough to begin a collection just for the value, or for the fun of collecting. I shot the crap out of everything I ever bought.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Schuylkill County)

I never mind having seconds, as long as they are not sloppy. Most of my firearms are used.

(Jefferson County)

The only virgins worth waiting for are females or collector piece guns that you intend not to shoot either.

Used guns can save you $$. If a person has intentions of shooting/carrying - he is stupid to pass up a perfectly good used gun, which is often less money, for a virgin.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Schuylkill County)

I always found virgin females unenjoyable for personal reasons.

I once saw a great deal in a local paper. It was such a great deal I figured it might be some sort of a set up. I called while at work the following day and left work early so I could get there first. The gentleman selling the gun decided to sell it for what Cabela's had offered him for it the day before. We stopped at an ATM before we went to the FFL. It was a Browning Hi Power with only 20 rounds thru it. Came with a dillon holster, belt, mag pouch, 2 extra mags, 5 boxes of target ammo, and 7 boxes of hollow points.

(Berks County)

I'll take 'em any way I can get them.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Lycoming County)

I buy almost exclusively used firearms anymore. I buy guns to shoot and I usually don't care if they have holster wear or a few dings in the stock as long as they shoot well.

(Monroe County)

I have no problem taking used firearms. They already have a history, and a little bit of character. Somebody has cared for them, put in effort, used them, and left a little bit of their history behind with the gun.

If it was a person's carry weapon, that's even better. Why? Because people generally shoot their carry weapon a lot, especially at first. This means it has been tested, possibly tweaked, and proven reliable. Old carry weapons are like a pair of boots after you've worked them in and they get comfy. And again, there's the history. You look at the gun, and you can pick out which scratches and marks you made, and which ones were there from the previous owner. You can see the evidence of it being trusted, carried at someone's side to help defend their life. You can feel it when you work the slide; this gun's been well used... But there's still a lot of mileage left in it. And I much prefer smooth operation and feel of a worked-in weapon than a new stiff one.

I bought my 1911 new about 5 years ago, and it is just about now at the point that I love. It's got marks all over it where the finish is worn off, in different spots from different holsters. It has the "idiot scratch." It has little brass-colored marks all over the place behind the ejection port. It has a bunch of little dings all over the slide up near the muzzle from when I carried it in an OWB holster that allowed the barrel to stick out and rub on the rivets of my jeans. The slide no longer has a "stiff" feel to it, that worked out about a year after I bought it. In short, it has a broken in, well-used look and feel to it that just makes it more of a pleasure to have than when in was new. Out of the box, it was just any old production model like any other in its series... But now, it's worked-in, worn-down, looks great, feels smooth as butter, has proven itself reliable, and has even saved my kiester a couple of times. I'm not going to sell it anytime soon, but if I did, I'd hope someone would appreciate the history behind it as I appreciate the history of other people's used firearms.
    Last edited by snakeman21; July 12th, 2013 at 10:39 AM.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast