Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default groundhog hunting

does anyone have a farm that needs groundhogs removed in the hummelstown/hershey area. I love hunting groundhogs and am from halifax/millersburg area and thats a little far to hung hogs after work.
    -thanks

Default Re: groundhog hunting

I grew up in Millersburg. I worked on a farm in Lykens that I hunt every summer. It's a hike from Pottstown, but well worth it.

I'm doubting you will find too many farmers in the Hershey area willing to allow you to hunt their land...since it's such a commercial area now.

(Bedford County)

Are groundhogs edible?
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." -George Carlin

I hear the young ones are good eating. I probably could have saved the one I shot tonight, but I didn't want to gross out my wife. She was with me at the club and she would have freaked if I would have bagged Mr. No Brainer.

(Dauphin County)

aubie chances are you had my dad for a high school shop teacher if you grew up in millersburg, I figured it was a slim chance on finding anyone around hershey to let my hunt hogs, I have also considered the fact of eating groundhogs considering they are not much different than rabbits, but have not brought myself to that yet

(Perry County)

If my dog doesn't eat it, I'm not eating it.
    "I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick some ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum." - Rowdy Roddy Piper

(Columbia County)

If so many people want recipies for differen critters why isn't there a sticky for it?? any way, some I know used to fry them with flour like fish or roast them it is like the very poor mans beef. and a lot of critters in PA are quite tasty. (if u are with some one who knows their way around a fire).
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Red foxes sure love the meat of groundhogs, so even if you leave it lay, a fox will likley find it that night. In fact if there is a known fox den nearby, take the groundhog close to it and drop it off. Don't go right to the den or the foxes may spook and move to another den location.

Otherwise, yes I have heard the young 'chucks are good eating, but there is a gland located inside 2 of the legs ( not sure front or rear) that needs removed first. Probably just chop the meat up and crock pot it in onion soup mix or barbeque sauce a few hours.

BTW to give you an idea how populous these critters can be, a friend of mine and a farmer took out 149 of them off just 1 farm last year. I am guessing about 200 acres of farmland, and around 100 were taken in traps, the rest were shot. Several were youngins, they can have litters of 6-7.

(Lycoming County)

did u ever find a place to ground hog hunt. i live up by williamsport area and always looking for new people to take out ground hogging. hope if i invite people here to do so they will invite me to there home town one day to hunt