Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default new to concealed

Hello again everyone
    I've been carrying my sp101 for about 6 weeks now and am in need of reassurance. I cannot help but think the entire world knows. Especially my Wawa cashiers! Does anyone else spend a full 15 minutes prior to walking out of the house checking for printing? Is the best solution here to get something smaller? How do you guys work up into an easy routine?
    Thank you for "bearing" with me

Default Re: new to concealed

Let tell you this right now. They don't know you have a gun. They are not looking for it and even if they see a bump, the first thought in their mind is not going to be "gun".

I had (and I think most others as well) the same feeling when I started carrying. The first time out, I couldn't stop shaking I was so nervous. In time that nervousness will die down.

The only way people who aren't actively looking for a gun and know what to look for will figure out you have a gun is if you are wearing a shirt that is as tight as wetsuit or if your shirt rides up.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Lancaster County)

There's a lot of other things that could be printing through your clothing other than a gun.

Cell Phone
    Multitool
    Insulin pump
    colostomy bag

if anyone asks, make something up.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

The secrets are a good holster and appropriate clothing.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by rofo View Post
    Hello again everyone
    I've been carrying my sp101 for about 6 weeks now and am in need of reassurance. I cannot help but think the entire world knows. Especially my Wawa cashiers! Does anyone else spend a full 15 minutes prior to walking out of the house checking for printing? Is the best solution here to get something smaller? How do you guys work up into an easy routine?
    Thank you for "bearing" with me

First, in case you don't already know, 'printing' in not illegal in PA. For that matter open carry is legal.

Second, if you are just concerned about whether folks will "just know" you are carrying, consider this. I have been carrying openly for almost 5 years and I will say you would be amazed at how rare it is that someones notices open carry, let alone concealed carry.

That said, I think just about everyone gets nervous at first, the liberal anti-gun mindset gives us a lot to overcome. A concealable firearm, a good gun belt and holster, and the right clothes will make all the difference. When it's done right, even you won't know you're carrying.

Keep your license/permit with you, and go have at it. If you haven't already, maybe begin to get accustomed to it around the house, maybe inside and out. But it doesn't matter. They won't notice. Really.

Welcome to the Second Amendment!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    There's a lot of other things that could be printing through your clothing other than a gun.

Cell Phone
    Multitool
    Insulin pump
    colostomy bag

if anyone asks, make something up.
    Just tell them it's a vibrator printing. that will either throw them off or lead to an interesting conversation/situation

Seriously though, most of us went through what you are going through, it's only natural. It's a big deal to you because it's new and a central thing in your life. Everyone else has a central thing going on in their life and it's not centered on a possible vague impression on your hip. The feeling goes away and eventually you don't think anymore about it than you think about the socks you chose to wear that morning.

(Allegheny County)

I like to call this somewhat paranoid mindset the OP (and many others) describe as Condition Amber. That is half way between Yellow and Orange on the Jeff Cooper Color Code. New carries sometimes get paranoid about everyone, not that they are a threat but you think they know you have a firearm.

Most get over this with time and nothing else. It really does not matter if you have a smaller firearm or not. I went back into Condition Amber for a bit when I went from pocket carrying my LCP to IWB thinking my shirt may ride up and I had pocket carried for years.

As for physical comfort I don't really think that has much to do with emotional comfort while carrying. I got over the paranoia when I first started before I decided that carrying my full size S&W Sigma was just not physically comfortable and got an LCP.

Here is a link to Cooper Color Code for reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_C...per_Color_Code
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Mercer County)

Get fat! I carry a full sized 1911 IWB without printing one bit.

(Montgomery County)

I just wear a baggy shirt and it hides everything well enough. I carry a full size pistol in an OWB holster, and nobody notices. Heck even my wife doesn't always pick up on it. As for the gain weight statement... I'm way overweight, and the gun makes it look worse. Stay smaller and wear looser clothes.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for sharing that link. I printed it out to keep for further study.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast