Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Non-Resident obtaining PA CHP

Ok,

So I'm a Canadian living in Canada, and want to know if I can get a Pennsylvania Concealed handgun permit as a non-resident. I have my handgun license up here, but Canada doesn't allow you to carry a handgun (may issue a permit, but only under extreme circumstances, only about 1/2 dozen are issued per year). So, would I be able to obtain a non-resident CHP? Based on what I read on usacarry, I believe so, but am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by usacarry
    Out Of State Permit Issue:
    Yes, Individuals who are 21 years of age or older and are NOT Pennsylvania residents may apply for a license by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any Pennsylvania County Sheriff’s office along with the required fee. A Pennsylvania license cannot be issued to a resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by their home state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury.
    Last edited by Ar180shooter; July 9th, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't.

Default Re: Non-Resident obtaining PA CHP

I don't believe you can, as a resident of Canada.

(e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

<SNIP>

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I don't believe you can, as a resident of Canada.

(e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

<SNIP>

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    I don't believe that the above proscription applies to him since he is not a resident of ANY state in this country. Unless he maintains a 'home' in USA he would be a non-immigrant alien while here.

Similarly, since I presume he is not travelling here under a visa, he is not proscribed from firearm possession under 18 USC 922(g)(5)(B) [to address the 6109(e)(xiv) dis-qualifier].
    Last edited by tl_3237; July 9th, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
    IANAL

(Tioga County)

Canada is a similar country to the USA and it's sad to me they may as well be across the planet due to all the difficult rules imposed by the border. Any commerce, travel or other issues seem to be a PITA so a lot of people just don't bother.

A lot of sheriffs in the state will not even issue a licence to an out of state resident even if they have a permit in their own state anyways.

It appears there is no provision for any citizens of other countries in the law from what I can see unless you actually reside in PA.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Canada is a similar country to the USA and it's sad to me they may as well be across the planet due to all the difficult rules imposed by the border. Any commerce, travel or other issues seem to be a PITA so a lot of people just don't bother.

A lot of sheriffs in the state will not even issue a licence to an out of state resident even if they have a permit in their own state anyways.

It appears there is no provision for any citizens of other countries in the law from what I can see unless you actually reside in PA.
    I agree that the border crossing with a firearm is problematic and further that most sheriffs have never been involved in the issue as to whether LTCF issuance can be made to a foreign national.

Having piqued my curiosity, I did a cursory research convinced that it couldn't be done. I have been unable to find a specific statutory basis that prevents it.

As to Pa, we know that they do issue to non-residents and that, at least IMO, the potential dis-qualifiers of 6109 ix and xiv would seem inapplicable. Further we note that Pa also implicitly allows for issuance to non-citizens legally in the USA because of a further inapplicable 6109 dis-qualifier:

(x) An alien who is illegally in the United States.
    As such my inquisitive nature still asks the question - what law precludes issuance to a Canadian non-resident???
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    I agree that the border crossing with a firearm is problematic and further that most sheriffs have never been involved in the issue as to whether LTCF issuance can be made to a foreign national.

Having piqued my curiosity, I did a cursory research convinced that it couldn't be done. I have been unable to find a specific statutory basis that prevents it.

As to Pa, we know that they do issue to non-residents and that, at least IMO, the potential dis-qualifiers of 6109 ix and xiv would seem inapplicable. Further we note that Pa also implicitly allows for issuance to non-citizens legally in the USA because of a further inapplicable 6109 dis-qualifier:

As such my inquisitive nature still asks the question - what law precludes issuance to a Canadian non-resident???
    Interestingly enough, crossing the border with a firearm is surprisingly easy as long as I have a completed and approved BATF Form 6 NIA. A good friend of mine up here hunts in NY and ME almost every year, so he can help me in getting the import paperwork sorted out.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't.

The PA LTCF application asks for street address, city, state and ZIP Code.

There is not a space for country, so obviously only people with a USA address can apply.

And also, I don't believe Canada has ZIP codes either. They have postal codes. So again, sorry

Seriously, it would be interesting to see if any sheriff would issue to a Canadian res.