Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Cleaning

(Berks County)

Default AR Cleaning

To start, I will use FrogLube, so just wanted to get that out into the open and not debate that until/if I am dissatisfied.

The temptation was too great and I bought the PSA AR that os going for $694-ish. Feels great, looks great, great specs, I think form all the advice given and what I have read, it is a good starter for me, the casual AR paper-puncher.

With all of that said, I am going in for my 1st cleaning. So, where do I lube? Meaning specifically:

1. BCG, any part of that that is not lubed?

2. Lower Receiver and Upper, outside specifically. I assume don't apply FL as it will leave a shiny yet greasy overall effect? Just keep that wiped down I assume.

3. Outside of barrel, do I remove handguards and apply?

4. Anything I overlooked? I understand to apply FL to bore, star, BCG, charging handle, inside of upper and lower. All obvious friction points as well.

5. Buffer and spring. Do they need it as well? Do they need to be regularly cleaned? Been a long long time since I held one of these types in my hand.

Also, the chamber brush. I have one, and see it's design is for the star and also will go into bore slightly? So, what is proper use? I know not to even try and push or pull through bore, however a twisting motion to clean star and that small section of the bore? What is proper use?

I appreciate the help.
    Last edited by Gunowner99; July 9th, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR Cleaning

Here you go!

"L" = light
    "G" = generous
    "1" = one drop

33229.jpg

lube21.jpg
    Last edited by Hawk; July 9th, 2013 at 03:57 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

I'm goign to quote myself here.

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/191...ml#post2192595

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    Cleaning the AR-15.

Step 1: Remove debris from rifle.
    Step 2: Lubricate metal-on-metal moving parts.

There are countless methods, products, and techniques to achieve these steps.

I personally run a chamber brush and a bore snake through the upper after each range session as well as applying extra lube to the BCG if necessary.

After 3-4 range sessions Ill get out the q-tips and the compressed air and clean the whole rifle thoroughly.

Here are the lube point's I follow.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...15-LUBE-POINTS
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    Great diagrams!! I wish I had a guide like this when I first got into AR's... I mean it isn't rocket science, but I had to figure it out on my own and it would have been nice to have a guide like this! Rep Sent for trying to be helpful
    Last edited by TheGhost27; July 9th, 2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Rep sent

(Wayne County)

Run it wet.
    You can't over lube it. Any excess will be blown out after a few rounds.

Also just in case you need a better lube and cleaner that does not require you to heat up your firearm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Wayne County)

Hickok does a pretty good job with this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwK3j615734

I run mine wet.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BB MBD View Post
    Run it wet.
    You can't over lube it. Any excess will be blown out after a few rounds.

Also just in case you need a better lube and cleaner that does not require you to heat up your firearm

+1 you can't overlube your AR, especially the bolt carrier group.....keep it drippy. I also like to lube all the exterior steel parts...barrel, take down pins..etc.

As for the buffer and spring... I clean them good and just run them down with an oily rag.

(Delaware County)

Lube every 500 rounds whether it needs it or not - then fire another 500 rounds and lube again :-)

clean when the rings wear out
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

(Berks County)

Thanks for the help, I think I get it but a few points I am unsure of:

1. Lower Receiver and Upper, outside specifically. I assume don't apply FL as it will leave a shiny yet greasy overall effect? Just keep that wiped down I assume.

2. Outside of barrel, do I remove handguards and apply? Meaning, the 3x of "seasoning" as I would do on my other guns? How important is this?

Also, the chamber brush. I have one, and see it's design is for the star and also will go into bore slightly? So, what is proper use? I know not to even try and push or pull through bore, however a twisting motion to clean star and that small section of the bore? What is proper use?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Thanks for the help, I think I get it but a few points I am unsure of:

1. Lower Receiver and Upper, outside specifically. I assume don't apply FL as it will leave a shiny yet greasy overall effect? Just keep that wiped down I assume.

2. Outside of barrel, do I remove handguards and apply? Meaning, the 3x of "seasoning" as I would do on my other guns? How important is this?

Ok So I use FL on all of my guns including my AR.

To answer your first question the first time I applied FL to my AR I spread it all over inside and out then wiped it off. When you wipe the FL off it leaves no noticeable residue of any type.

For your question about the outside of the barrel I would say it would depend on what hand guards you had. If it is just pulling down the delta ring why not? Free Floated meh not worth the work.

As for the chamber brush I don't have one or use one. I did a full seasoning of FL before I ever shot my AR and I don't have any problems with carbon sticking or needing a brush anywhere. I just use the bronze scraper on my Leatherman MUT to get the FL Microfiber cloth into the tight spots.

As for the question you had of the BCG and how to lube it I use the diagrams that they listed and where it says generous I leave a light coat of the paste on the BCG where it says light I wipe it off and use the "dry" FL protection/lube.

What I have been doing isn't really the recommended FL treatment but I figure hey as the BCG heats up the extra FL can only season in more and aid in the lubrication. Best part is I just wipe off the FL that is still on the BCG/in the Barrel after a day at the range and brush some more on and it is pretty much clean. I have about 1000 rounds through my AR with this method and I have had no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast