Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Default state parks, rail trail?

I could swear I saw something somewhere recently about a bill passed this session in PA to open up state parks for carry. Can anyone confirm? Is it law yet? Or still pending gov's signature ( do you think he will sign it into law?)?

Also is the rail trail in southern York county run by the DCNR? I read carry was off limits to any DCNR run parks. Or is open carry allowed in the parks, but not concealed? I know the signs at the rail trail say no weapons, but if they are not DCNR, then all their rangers or whoever can do is threaten tresspassing charges on you if they really don't like it.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: state parks, rail trail?

the bill you are thinking of was passed by the PA house, but still has to be passed by the state senate and signed by the governor before it becomes law.

so, as of now, it is still a summary offense to carry in a state park.

however, that DCNR rule applies only to state parks...not to all DCNR property (for example, it is perfectly legal to carry in state forests).

is the rails-to-trail you are referring to a state park? if not, and if there are not specific DCNR rules about carrying on rails to trails, then it is not illegal to carry there.

however, i do not know whether or not rails to trails are considered state parks. i also do not know for sure that there is not a specific DCNR rule against carrying on a rails to trails trail.

(Carbon County)

I know the rails to trails in hazleton just says that there is no discharging of any type of firearms across the trail, but nothing about not carrying, Plus I have talked to other who say they carry there all the time. Other than that I am not sure about the legality of it, other no firing across the trail.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Ok I went by one of the trailheads today and being as no one was tailgating me LOL, I slowed down and saw the sign said "county park" on it. So what does this mean as to legality of carry? Again the sign does say "no weapons", but I was told at the opencarry.org board in the PA section this is the same as a business with a no guns sign-has no clout unless the owner gets upset and wants you to leave and you refuse, then they can get you for trespassing. Do you think if someone was OCing there and also had an ltcf that a ranger may be cooler on you about it? CC I am not concerned with, if they don't know you are carrying, they can't get on you about it, and if you actually had to defend yourself, I'd hardly worry about the county parks people compared to the self defense situation!

(Franklin County)

§6120. Limitation on the Regulation of Firearms and Ammunition.

(a) General rule. No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this commonwealth.

(a. l) No right of action.

(1) No political subdivision may bring or maintain an action at law or in equity against any firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer for damages, abatement, injunctive relief or any other relief or remedy resulting from or relating to either the lawful design or manufacture of firearms or ammunition or the lawful marketing or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public.

(2) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit a political subdivision from bringing or maintaining an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by the political subdivision.

(b) Definitions.-As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Dealer." The term shall include any person engaged in the business of selling at wholesale or retail a firearm or ammunition.

"Firearms." This term shall have the meaning given to it in section 5515 (relating to prohibiting of paramilitary training) but shall not include air rifles as that term is defined in section 6304 (relating to sale and use of air rifles).

"Political subdivision." The term shall include any home rule charter municipality, county, city, borough, incorporated town, township or school district.

(Chgd. by 1.1999, Act 59(7), eff.12/15/99.)
    I don't know if a Ranger would be 'cooler' about it if you had a LTCF or not. It really doesn't matter, since they have no authority to regulate your possession of a firearm. State law is the ruling authority, and you do not need a LTCF to open carry in PA (except in Philly). I also believe that they have no legal authority to ask to you leave because you have a firearm. This qualifies as "regulation". The are attempting to make you comply with their prohibition on firearms, and they have no standing to do so.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lackawanna County)

so, basically, if i go camping in lackawanna state park, and i'm attacked by a bear, i'm screwed?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    so, basically, if i go camping in lackawanna state park, and i'm attacked by a bear, i'm screwed?
    You are only screwed if you don't shoot the bear. You are allowed to have a firearm at your campsite.
    I camped at Lackawanna State Park last summer, and had two pistols at all times. A big one for four legged critters, and a smaller concealed one for the two legged critters.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by CZ40P View Post
    You are allowed to have a firearm at your campsite.
    Careful.....this isn't technically correct.
    (4) Possessing an uncased device, or uncasing a device, including a firearm,
    archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except as provided in paragraph (2) or (7), or except in the owner's building on a leased campsite, in the owner's residence, or in the owner's vehicle or trailer.
    Paragraph 2 applies to hunting, and paragraph 7 to target shooting, each with their own limits. Based on the specific language, having a firearm on your person or in your tent, even at "your" campsite would still be a violation.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Northampton County)

DCNR is responsible for the Dlaware Canal and Towpath and I'm pretty sure that it is considered a State Park. Does that mean that I can't carry when I'm fishing in the Delaware River? I was just there yesterday with my older daughter OC'ng.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Blair County)

There are several rails to trails around blair. They are run by a non-profit. They are not up kept by the state. I know this because my grandfather and brother both have done work for that group.