Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Home Defense / Brandishing a weapon

So there are lot of posts on here about never brandish a weapon unless you are ready to shoot, never do this unless you can retreat / escape... etc

Here is the scenario.

You hear what sounds like someone trying to break into your house, sounds like scratching on the door, knobs being turned, thumping sounds from someone trying windows... etc. Lets say everything short of breaking glass that would indicate someone is trying to get into the house.

Now do you go investigate armed with a weapon displayed or do you retreat from the house without showing a weapon?

Based on what the most of the threads on here say you need to retreat as you do not know if the person is not armed or trying to perform bodily harm and they are not in the house yet or would you go investigate (not leaving the house) to see what is making the noise?

Would it be different if you heard someone in your garage banging around? What about breaking into your shed? messing with your vehicle in the driveway?

**calling the cops is not a valid answer. Response time for PSP is 10 - 20 minutes assuming they have someone available and "nearby"

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Home Defense / Brandishing a weapon

I'll leave the definitive answer to the more knowledgeable posters but, I believe you do not have a duty to retreat in your home. As far as investigating armed, I would.

Now a shed or detached garage I'm not sure on but I think as soon as you step outside your house that's a different story.

(Wayne County)

Of course this is probably the incorrect answer but I would investigate with a gun...if I know for sure someone is outside, I yell to them that I have called the police and that I am armed and prepared to defend my house and my family and that the best thing they could do is to leave. I then call 911 and report what is going on while keeping attention on what is happening outside. If they remain outside, I wait them out. If they are stupid enough to make it inside, they are carried out.

As far as your other questions, I know you have said that calling the cops is not a valid answer but that seems to be the only answer. At that point, you or your family are not in danger...just your personal belongings. I would call the cops, yell to them that I have done so, inform them that I am armed, and tell them they should leave. If they do, great...if not...well, I certainly can't just shoot them for taking things from my garage I don't think.

are we talking your place or mine? mine calling the PD is a very valid answer, officers are here in under 5min for a barking dog call so i'm good to go. I also have every inch around my house on camera, and you can't approach the house without setting off a flood light. I'd hide out in my bedroom with a shotgun until then incase they decide to play ball, but no way am i gonna go and clear my house thats just stupid.

Get a good camera system, and flood lights. There is no reason to play the guessing game with todays technology.

(Lawrence County)

It's hard to hide a 12 gauge........

Lycangunsoutinsidethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Monroe County)

Lets say its mine as I don't have the $ for a video surveillance setup and the cops are slow to respond.

(Northampton County)

Is their anything illegal about a person on their private property carrying a gun around? I mean out of the holster.

If I decided to investigate a noise or disturbance at my detached garage or shed, how is it illegal for me to carry a pistol in my hand? I'm not saying it wouldn't be a better idea have your holster on and investigate that way, but....

I guess I look at it from the perspective of it's my property and I am free to do what I want on my property (as long as it's not causing harm to others or their property). Sort of like, I could let my son drive my car around my property all day long before he is legally allowed to operate it on a public roadway. But, as soon as he drives on a public road, he'd be breaking a law.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    I guess I look at it from the perspective of it's my property and I am free to do what I want on my property (as long as it's not causing harm to others or their property). Sort of like, I could let my son drive my car around my property all day long before he is legally allowed to operate it on a public roadway. But, as soon as he drives on a public road, he'd be breaking a law.
    Just remember the government knows best how to run your life and manage your property. You are a mindless drone who has no common sense, and doesn't have the mental capabilities to decide what is right and wrong to do on your own property.

(Lehigh County)

You still would need to call the police first. Even if they don't respond fast. If it does come to the point that you do need to eliminate the threat, you'll have wanted to call the PD first. If you dont, I have a good feeling that will come up in your court hearing...
    Home security (floods , ect ) are definately a great deterent.. as well as my 4 dogs... but as i see it you do not have those things. If i was in your senerio, at your home ( without these things), and it is very clear that it is someone breaking in and not a tree branch tapping the window then i would call the police, and take up a spot in a locked room with whatever gun you decide to use. Nobody wants their stuff stolen, but going through your house to prevent that IMO is just not worth your life. If the BG broke in to specifically cause you bodily harm, then being armed in a locked room with your gun trained on the only means of entry will give you much more of an advantage.
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

(Susquehanna County)

I maybe wrong as IANAL but I don't believe it lawful to shoot at or threating anyone over personal property. Deadly force can only be used if your physically threatened. If you choice to shoot and only wound the perp you may be in for a long lawsuit if you kill him his family will sue and your in for another long law suit. I'm not sure how you'd make out holding him for the LEO"S

Remember those cops in NY who shot over 50 time at the guy who was trying to run them over still have to go thought the civil trial by his family

If you want faster results from the police tell them "I'm armed and ready to shoot anyone who comes into the house without identifying themselves"
    Last edited by larrymeyer; April 27th, 2008 at 02:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast