Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Thumbs down Hornady Steel Match Ammo

I recently purchased two boxes of Hornady Steel Match Ammo. 230grn JHP looking round for my shiny new STI Trojan 1911 .45ACP. The main purpose was to run different types of factory ammo to see if it would eat it all.

True enough, it did......until i started shooting the steel match stuff. Please bear in mind this was actually after 20 rounds of the winchester whitebox ammo which was the 230grm FMJ.

I did not notice it during the first couple of magazines, but then, on the third, the side would simply not even go into battery! I did the tap, racked in another round, and again after 2 shots, it would fail to go into battery.

That is where i stopped. field stripped and the inside looked like it was covered in soot!! i cleaned most of it off with a dry kitchen towel (my wife hasn't caught on to why her kitchen towels keep disappearing yet) and put a couple of drops of oil on the slide, worked it back and forth, switched the ammo to federal 185grn and had ZERO malfunctions after that.

Have any of you had similar experiences with the Hornady Steel Match ammunition?? Or did i just happen get a shitty batch?

Default Re: Hornady Steel Match Ammo

I don't shoot any steel cased ammo, but I'll hazard a guess. Steel, not being as malleable as brass may not expand enough, upon firing, to seal the chamber and thus you get more blowback and soot build-up in the chamber.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTailhound View Post
    I recently purchased two boxes of Hornady Steel Match Ammo. 230grn JHP looking round for my shiny new STI Trojan 1911 .45ACP. The main purpose was to run different types of factory ammo to see if it would eat it all.

True enough, it did......until i started shooting the steel match stuff. Please bear in mind this was actually after 20 rounds of the winchester whitebox ammo which was the 230grm FMJ.

I did not notice it during the first couple of magazines, but then, on the third, the side would simply not even go into battery! I did the tap, racked in another round, and again after 2 shots, it would fail to go into battery.

That is where i stopped. field stripped and the inside looked like it was covered in soot!! i cleaned most of it off with a dry kitchen towel (my wife hasn't caught on to why her kitchen towels keep disappearing yet) and put a couple of drops of oil on the slide, worked it back and forth, switched the ammo to federal 185grn and had ZERO malfunctions after that.

Have any of you had similar experiences with the Hornady Steel Match ammunition?? Or did i just happen get a shitty batch?
    Have you fed the STI JHP before or was this the first time? Some 1911's don't like JHP, I'm not really familiar with STI's and if they like JHP, Just a thought

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFUG36 View Post
    Have you fed the STI JHP before or was this the first time? Some 1911's don't like JHP, I'm not really familiar with STI's and if they like JHP, Just a thought
    The STIs (this trojan would be be my second one) showed no issues with the 185gr JHP ammo whatsoever. I proceeded to shoot 130 more rounds through it without any problems...

Bob,
    You would not believe the amount of soot in the chamber....like a coal mine...and only after 16 rounds!! Disgusting..