Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default what states offer licenses to carry through the mail?

I am a PA resident. I currently have a PA LTCF, as well as AZ, FL, and VA.
    I took the NRA personal protection inside the home class (PPITH) one year ago.
    I am a Marine, having served active and now in the reserves. I am a weapons instructor in the Marine Corps.
    What other states offer a license to carry through the mail to non residents AND would be satisfied with my current training? I do not desire to take another specialized class, but would be willing to pay to get another license to carry. So far NH looks like it. I am not interested in having to drive to the state just to get the license.
    Thanks guys.
    PUT AN ACOG ON IT!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: what states offer licenses to carry through the mail?

That's a long list, so not really fair to ask somebody else to track down for you IMO. If it was like 1 or 2 states out of 50, I could see asking to see who knew. But you are going to be putting together a list

Go to handgunlaw.us and download the summaries for each state of interest. Each state has a section describing the process for non-resident.

I'll add one done by mail that you qualify for. Maine.

(Philadelphia County)

Maine can also be done by mail.

Nice collection by the way. I have licenses /permits from Pennsylvania, Arizona, Virginia, and Maine. I'll hopefully be applying for my New Hampshire soon also.

There about it unless you want to go a Utah instructor and take a class. Utah instructors usually charge $75-150 for the class. The cost of the Utah permit is only $54 for five years. Utah along with New Hampshire are the only NR permits that are still valid in PA by the way.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    That's a long list, so not really fair to ask somebody else to track down for you IMO. If it was like 1 or 2 states out of 50, I could see asking to see who knew. But you are going to be putting together a list

Go to handgunlaw.us and download the summaries for each state of interest. Each state has a section describing the process for non-resident.

I'll add one done by mail that you qualify for. Maine.
    I'm definitely not asking anyone to track down info for me. I am asking for people that happen to have the knowledge to share.
    Thank you for that, ME is certainly an option. Its a shame that PA only recognizes it if I'm a resident though... my main purpose in getting this would be to cover my bases in the event of expiration of my PA license, as PA no longer likes my FL and VA licenses. Lame.
    PUT AN ACOG ON IT!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRaider5 View Post
    Maine can also be done by mail.

Nice collection by the way. I have licenses /permits from Pennsylvania, Arizona, Virginia, and Maine. I'll hopefully be applying for my New Hampshire soon also.

There about it unless you want to go a Utah instructor and take a class. Utah instructors usually charge $75-150 for the class. The cost of the Utah permit is only $54 for five years. Utah along with New Hampshire are the only NR permits that are still valid in PA by the way.
    ok, then it looks like UT and NH are the main contenders. I wonder why our AG didn't add them to the "ban" list too?

side question: if I move out of state, whats the process for renewing my PA LTCF when the time comes?
    PUT AN ACOG ON IT!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by masakarijoe View Post
    ok, then it looks like UT and NH are the main conters. I wonder why our AG didn't add them to the "ban" list too?

side question: if I move out of state, whats the process for renewing my PA LTCF when the time comes?
    The process for renewal is identical to the process for new (or non-renewal). There is no difference.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by masakarijoe View Post
    ok, then it looks like UT and NH are the main contenders. I wonder why our AG didn't add them to the "ban" list too?

We don't have a written agreement with Utah so she can't really touch that. The agreement with Utah is "reciprocity without a formal written agreement".

We also have a written agreement with New Hampshire see here:http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...0Agreement.pdf

She probably isn't touching Utah or New Hampshire because they require you have a License/Permit from your home state before applying [If your state issues permits that is].

Go to www.handgunlaw.us and click on "Non Resident Permits" in the left column. There is a list of all states that issue non resident permits and if they are available by mail. It also lists the states that honor that states Non Resident Permit. Hope this helps.
    Gary Slider Handgunlaw.us Member Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network

(Northampton County)

Well, shit, I guess it was easier to ask here than to check yourself

You'll still have to see which ones apply to your concerns. You've narrowed your requirements quite a bit since your first post.

I'm pretty sure Connecticut issues by mail, but they have zero reciprocity with anyone, and your PPITH won't satisfy Connecticut. They state specifically that it doesn't. Has to be NRA Basic Pistol.

I don't remember about Rhode Island. I looked into it a number of years ago when I regularly visited friends there and I think it was available by mail, but I didn't follow through, and the situation could easily have changed in ten years. But, again ... no reciprocity, so it doesn't help you.
    Last edited by Greywolf; July 2nd, 2013 at 09:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast