Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Slug though a choked barrel

Hi,

I just recently started shooting slugs out of my shotguns. I have always done mostly clay-shooting. I was really impressed with how much power a slug has even when shooting the same 2 3/4 shells. I was actually able to get full penetration through steel rims that I normally only get with .223 and higher. The slug made a very impressive .73 inch hole in a steel rim at 20 feet. I must say I am now hooked on slugs.

I have two shotguns that I now are straight bore and I used those. I have a double barrel and I am not sure if it is choked or regulated. I did some googling and I read that it is safe to shoot slugs even if the barrel is choked. Can I get some verification of this. Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Slug though a choked barrel

If the shot gun has a fixed choke I would not shoot through anything smaller than IC. NO MODIFIED AND NO FULL.

If the gun is smooth bore go by the recommended manufacturers advice for the gun and slug.

If the barrel is rifled then shoot sabot slugs.

If the gun has choke tubes then look into getting a rifled choke and see what kind of slugs will shot out of it.

If you are going to be shooting slugs for HD (home defense) use an IC choke or IC fixed choke barrel.

If you are actually going hunting.. save you money and eventually get a fully rifled slug barrel. YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT THE DIFFERENCE!

Hope I didn't confuse you.

DO NOT SHOOT SLUGS THROUGH FULL CHOKE FIXED GUN.
    Last edited by thefirstndsecond; September 10th, 2012 at 10:39 PM.

(Lancaster County)

depends on the slug some makers say cyl bore only others say full choke is ok.read the box your slugs come in if it doesn't answer your question.contact the maker and see what they have to say.this is how I would handel this.not to say there aren't a lot of people on here who know what there talking about.just if I talk to the maker I would feel that it is a fact.hope this helps.also go to ammo to go they have a lot of different slugs for sale.I have gotten a couple of different ones from them.cause each shotgun will have one brand it really likes.good luck with this and hope this helped.crazywolf

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    If the shot gun has a fixed choke I would not shoot through anything smaller than IC. NO MODIFIED AND NO FULL.

If the gun is smooth bore go by the recommended manufacturers advice for the gun and slug.

If the barrel is rifled then shoot rifled slugs.

If the gun has choke tubes then look into getting a rifled choke and see what kind of slugs will shot out of it.

If you are going to be shooting slugs for HD (home defense) use an IC choke or IC fixed choke barrel.

If you are actually going hunting.. save you money and eventually get a fully rifled slug barrel. YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT THE DIFFERENCE!

Hope I didn't confuse you.

DO NOT SHOOT SLUGS THROUGH FULL CHOKE FIXED GUN.
    I believe the bold is a typo/mistake.

Rifled (Foster) slugs are designed to work with a smooth bore. I have a 20ga over/under that is surprisingly accurate to 100 yards, about 8" 5 shot groups, with cyl and imp. cyl chokes installed.

If you have a rifled barrel, look into sabots, but I doubt you do otherwise you wouldn't be asking about chokes.

As stated above, do not use Full choke with slugs, and personally, I would also avoid anything tighter than IC.

(Bucks County)

It was. Thank you.

I meant to say sabot slugs.

(Allegheny County)

I've fired probably AT least 200-300 slugs through a full choke.

Winchester, Remington, Federal... ranging from 2.75" standard velocity - 3" magnum slugs, hi-vel slugs etc.

Gun is an 18.5" Remington 870 with a rem-choke barrel - and an internal full choke installed. I've never had a problem. Guns with a fixed choke may be different. YMMV. IANAL. etc.