I searched the forums and the .410 threads didn't really answer my question.

Is the .410 a decent possible shotgun for use as a home defense tool?

Here's the situation: A "friend" won't change to another caliber of shotgun. He's got a pistol grip .410 hes had since he lived in the hills. I've told him repeatedly that it only causes flesh wounds on humans. I convinced him to at least get some heavy buck, but that's it. He won't even go to a 20 gauge much less a 16 or 12 gauge - because his wife won't shoot it then, because she's little and the recoil is too much for her. I pointed out that his wife hates guns and won't shoot it any way, a point he disagrees with me on. That is a dead end, so I have to find some way to get the .410 to work for him. But he asked me to find the right kind of shell for his .410. I said 00 or 000 buck is the only possibility, but even then, its still underpowered.

Am I wrong about this? Is there a decent defense load for the .410, or should I lobby harder for him to ramp up to a bigger gun? To me the .410 is a bird gun, great for pesky blue jays and nasty little rattlesnakes....but fkin' useless against your average crackhead here in the city.

Input! I demand it!