Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Birdshot for home defense

Yes I know this subject has been beat to death, but I found this video to be interesting and will admit I was surprised at how deeply the birdshot penetrated.

He compares the spread of buckshot and birdshot then tests the birdshot out on some meat. A good meal wasted, but the birdshot did considerable damage and I thought was quite telling. The spread testing starts around the 5:45 mark and the meat testing starts around 6:30.

Last edited by internet troll; June 21st, 2013 at 02:46 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Birdshot for home defense

I don't care what anyone says. At home defense range, even low brass birdshot will wreck your shit. Granted, I have Federal buck in mine but if it had bird in it, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    I don't care what anyone says. At home defense range, even low brass birdshot will wreck your shit. Granted, I have Federal buck in mine but if it had bird in it, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
    Yep.. Most people think a shotgun at close range will pepper your whole body.
    Only in the movies.
    I have buck shot in mine also. Joe biden said just blast right through your door so i want to be extra sure it gets through.

Bird shot is decent for skeet shooting, as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teixm6JMw_k
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Bird shot is decent for skeet shooting, as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teixm6JMw_k
    Thats what happens when you melt every gun down in england and build one shotgun.

(Beaver County)

I'm so sick of seeing buckshot vs birdshot thread and videos. People on the shotgun world forum talk about this all the time. They want opinions and ask stupid questions when they could just go to the range and do a comparison between the two. Shoot some paper targets and then blow some shit up. That would put all this birdshot for defense nonsense to rest. Ever shoot a jug of water with a FMJ pistol round and then shoot one with a JHP? It's a pretty drastic difference and the same can be said of birdshot and buckshot.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery556 View Post
    I'm so sick of seeing buckshot vs birdshot thread and videos. People on the shotgun world forum talk about this all the time. They want opinions and ask stupid questions when they could just go to the range and do a comparison between the two. Shoot some paper targets and then blow some shit up. That would put all this birdshot for defense nonsense to rest. Ever shoot a jug of water with a FMJ pistol round and then shoot one with a JHP? It's a pretty drastic difference and the same can be said of birdshot and buckshot.
    I've seen the range results. I've also seen the results on game inside 10 yards. Not sure it's the same.

I don't mean to speak blasphemy, but a 3" load of #2+ will do it up.

Lycantheinternetcanliethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Westmoreland County)

I give the guy credit, he got ribs and clothing in there. Unless he has really long fingers the depth his fingers were going into the pork shoulder wasn't 4 inches. The problems are if you don't get optimal hits? Two or three inches of penetration isn't really enough to even start someone bleeding heavily with hits in most areas. What if the bad guy has an inch or 2 of fat on him and a winter coat?

That said I agree that birdshot does stack up on itself in close quarters and does more damage than a lot of people acknowledge. Plus especially in a semi auto like he had you can rip off a pair of shots fairly quick with practice. In my mind it's like a .22 sorta. If you catch one you're likely to catch 2 or 3 cause the shooter is going to be able to rip em out quickly.

If you have no other choice, if you're really worried about over penetration birdshot can still make people dead. I think I'd make sure that was my only option before I went that route. Fact is though unless you're really handcuffed there are more effective means out there that should be considered.

(Venango County)

I have actually contemplated this myself.

Birdshot does have some advantages. With the lighter projectiles, I would assume it would dump all of it's energy, or at least a great deal, into a soft target. Buck shot or a slug may over penetrate though.

Would I suggest it for a home defense round? More than likely not. However, my shotgun that stays by the bed is loaded alternating buck, and bird.

I feel it would be effective, and would do considerable damage. Would also be less recoil for smaller framed individuals. I just don't know that I would trust it.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Mercer County)

If depending on a 12 gauge as a home defense shotgun...I feed my Bennelli M4 a diet of two 00 Buckshot followed by a rifled slug followed by two rounds of 00 Buckshot and ending with a rifled Slug.

If the shit really hits the fan out comes my Ithaca RoadBlocker Mag 10s...Loaded with Gauge double 00 buck shot that load uses 18 , .32 caliber pellets and will stop any threat.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast