Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Conceal carry on Bucknell University campus?

I'm going to be going to Bucknell University campus for several days of a swim meet as a spectator/father of a swimmer and was wondering if my LTCF license permits me to conceal carry on campus. Does anyone know? I assume students of the university are not allowed but assume visitors are allowed, maybe a bad assumption.

Thanks in advance,
    Doug

P.S. I did a search through the forums but found nothing.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Conceal carry on Bucknell University campus?

PA State Law does not prohibit carry of firearms on college campuses, so by law you are allowed to. However the college itself may have a policy against it. If you see any signage stating such then you are trespassing. If there are no signs and you can't find anything that says firearms are prohibited then go ahead. But if someone notices and you are asked to leave, make sure you do so to avoid trespassing charges, but be sure to follow up with the college.

EDIT: Just went on their site and did some searching. Found this in the 2012 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. Just CTRL+F the word "gun" and you will find the section.

Weapons, Explosives and Hazardous Materials Policy
    Weapons on Campus: All weapons are prohibited on or at any Bucknell University buildings, grounds or Bucknell sponsored
    events, whether or not a federal or state license to possess the same has been issued to the possessor; except for sworn
    police officers or federal law enforcement officials. It shall be a violation of University policy for any student, faculty member,
    employee or visitor to have in his or her possession any weapon or to introduce any weapon into the University community
    without the express prior written permission of the Chief of Public Safety.
    So, you can CC and hope no one sees/cares enough to say anything, or not carry. If there is no signage, you can always argue that you didn't know due to the lack of signage, and cooperate with leaving, or locking your gun in your car and parking off campus.
    Last edited by Anthony1911; June 19th, 2013 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks for the quick reply. I see this in the PDF. I'm glad I asked in advance and thank you for the link!

It shall be a violation of University policy for any student, faculty member, employee or visitor to have in his or her possession any weapon or to introduce any weapon into the University community without the express prior written permission of the Chief of Public Safety.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by douglasjboehme View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I see this in the PDF. I'm glad I asked in advance and thank you for the link!
    No problem. If you don't mind, it would be nice to know what you end up doing, and if anything comes of it. I feel very strongly about being able to carry on college campuses, as they are huge targets for crazies. I know some students CC at my college even though they have a policy against it. Sometimes you have to decide if it's worth it to protect your life.

(York County)

Actually there was an interesting article in Psychology Today that I just read. Data from a University of MI mental health study shows 15% of their students are depressed, and the severity of mental diseases amongst college kids is getting worse... Keep carrying!

If you have 10 minutes this is a very interesting and well written article that you don't need to be a Dr to undertand:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...1/nation-wimps

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Actually there was an interesting article in Psychology Today that I just read. Data from a University of MI mental health study shows 15% of their students are depressed, and the severity of mental diseases amongst college kids is getting worse... Keep carrying!

If you have 10 minutes this is a very interesting and well written article that you don't need to be a Dr to undertand:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...1/nation-wimps
    That's a great article, thanks! I've been saying this has been a problem. That's why I have a patch for my gear that says "Harden the fuck up" lol.

Interestingly the report is for 2012...since there's no 2013 version, I assume it's now allowed.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by douglasjboehme View Post
    Interestingly the report is for 2012...since there's no 2013 version, I assume it's now allowed.
    Haha, they won't make the 2013 report until 2013 is over. The security reports are usually released toward the end of Spring Semester the following year. So expect 2013's report to release around April-May 2014.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1911 View Post
    PA State Law does not prohibit carry of firearms on college campuses, so by law you are allowed to. However the college itself may have a policy against it. If you see any signage stating such then you are trespassing. If there are no signs and you can't find anything that says firearms are prohibited then go ahead. But if someone notices and you are asked to leave, make sure you do so to avoid trespassing charges, but be sure to follow up with the college.

EDIT: Just went on their site and did some searching. Found this in the 2012 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. Just CTRL+F the word "gun" and you will find the section.

So, you can CC and hope no one sees/cares enough to say anything, or not carry. If there is no signage, you can always argue that you didn't know due to the lack of signage, and cooperate with leaving, or locking your gun in your car and parking off campus.
    I thought that at my school for a moment but then I am a student and as a student I should be following the student hand book compared to a visitor who is not bound by any sort of regulation since there is no signage at my school, and outside of the student handbook I wasn't able to find anything on the subject.

Yeah, students usually are more bound by "contract" (the student handbook) than visitors.

I've decided that I'm going to CC when I go. My HK P2000sk doesn't show at all with the IWB holster I have. I figure the worst that could happen is that they ask me to leave because I'm trespassing and I'll just come back to the pool without my HK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast