Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default I need gun right restoration help, please

Good morning, all.

I am a new member to the board here and I need some help and/or guidance. I am an Army Veteran that is in need of gun rights restoration. I was stationed at Fort Eustis, Va. back in '99 to '04 when I got out of the Army. In total, I served 8 years honorably with 1 tour to Iraq. I was married young and like any married couple that is young, we had our problems. My wife had an affair and ended up getting pregnant as a result of the affair. When I was told of the affair, we had a huge argument and she ended up calling the cops. In the state of Virginia, if the cops are called to a residence for domestic violence, someone is going to jail. I was arrested for domestic violence that evening. Once the military found out about the arrest, I was enrolled in what is called the PRIDE program. This is 26 weeks of anger management. When my court case came about in Newport News, the judge saw that I was enrolled in the PRIDE program and continued the case and said that upon completion of the program, the charges would be expunged. I was deployed to Iraq on January 10th of 2003, 23 weeks into my 26 week program. I left my then wife as power of attorney for bills and such while I was deployed. Bear in mind, deployments then are not like they are now. We had no notice of this deployment. I was over seas for a total of 8 months. In that 8 months, my court case had come up and was continued 3 times and on the 3rd time the judge found me guilty because I was not showing up to the hearing. Naturally because I was not in country.

When I got home, I didnt even think to research what had happened with the case figuring that I was excused because I was deployed. Negative. My wife never passed on the information to the courts about my deployment and the judge found me guilty of domestic violence. I did not learn of my conviction until I applied for the purchase of a handgun a year or so after I came home. Naturally I was denied the purchase. I am now and have always been a resident of Pennsylvania (always was my home of record) and this is the only blemish that is on my record. I have never been arrested or caused any problems in my life. I would like to have my record cleaned and my gun rights restored. Is this even possible? Does anyone know of an attorney that I can speak with to have this done?

Any help that anyone can give me in getting on the right path I would greatly appreciate.

Thank you in advance.

Brian

Default Re: I need gun right restoration help, please

You need a lawyer in VA. End of story.

Did you not have a lawyer the first time around? When you left for deployment, why did you not notify the courts? I know you say you didn't have a lot of time, but you surely could have done this via USPS after arrival overseas. (I was in the Marines at the same time, so I am not unfamiliar with the process and time frames available.) Upon arrival back home, you had a case pending that you knew about, why would you have not checked into it? You just assumed it had gone away?

I am sorry to say, but you might have some serious difficulties here in VA, brought on by your lack of attention to the matter. If they found you guilty, there was likely some kind of penalty involved as well (fines and/or probation or jail time.) You could be opening a big can of worms for yourself if you (in their eyes) skipped out on all of this. You just might have a warrant out there. Good luck.

(Chester County)

I was being told by my wife that things were being taken care of, when in actuality, she was sabotaging the whole deal. Yes, I did have an attorney during the first "go-round". There were a number of things that I had to take care of when I got home (divorce, custody of my son, moving, etc.) this kinda took a back seat unfortunately because I was dealing with all that and was told that it was handled in my absence. Stupid course of action on my part. Hind sight is always 20/20 but I had to do what I had to do at the time. I am sure that there isn't a warrant out there because I applied for the handgun in the state of Virginia. The State police were the ones that told me of the conviction once I was denied the sale of the handgun.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iamtommyboy View Post
    You need a lawyer in VA. End of story.
    What he said.....

(Montgomery County)

Sorry to hear about your situation and thanks for your service.

Thumbs up Re: I need gun right restoration help, please

Call Josh Prince @ Firearms Industry Consulting group

646 Lenape Road
    Bechtelsville, Pennsylvania 19505
    Phone (610) 845-3803
    Email info@princelaw.com
    Website http://www.FirearmsIndustryConsultingGroup.com
    http://blog.princelaw.com

That's a messed up situation. Honestly you should have taken care of your own affairs and not trust the woman that cheated on you. Hopefully this can get fixed. Regardless there is almost nothing any of us can do other than insist you get a good attorney. This isn't something that is going to be cheap or quick. Save up your pennies and take care of it.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Dauphin County)

I am so very sorry to hear of your situation and what led to it. What your "wife" did was absolutely disgusting and unforgivable. I hope and pray for you to have your rights restored and the only advice I can offer is to echo what others have said an get a lawyer.

You will need to have your record expunged in Virginia.

(Allegheny County)

I too am very sorry to hear about the situation.

Hopefully this doesn't rub too much salt in the wound but... can you share what you were thinking when you decided to let your case be handled by the person who (1) got you arrested in the first place, (2) was in the middle of divorcing you, and (3) was pregnant with another man's baby? How in the world did you feel reassured hearing her say, "Don't worry, baby--I'm taking care of you!"

(Mifflin County)

The above story sounds kind of familiar...

As if I have read it somewhere else before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast