Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Mini 14 Questions

Ok guys hoping you can help clear up some things.

I recently picked up a Mini-14 ranch. According to rugers website my gun was made in 1986.

Few questions. I have search but its confusing the results i find since ruger released the new mini ranch.

1. Is the rear sight replaceable? If so what are my options.

2. Can i use 5.56 NATO ammunition. From the research I have done ive come to the conclusion YES. Just checking.

3. Need suggestions for mounting a scope/optics. Everything i seem to find appears to be for the new MINI. My gun appears to have mounts on the receiver which look specific to ruger.

Thanks for the help!

Steve

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Mini 14 Questions

Greetings,

Need to know which series you have (first 3 digits of the serial #). Guessing from your manufacture date, could be a 183 which is what I have. It was my first "real" rifle that I purchased somewhere in the early '80s.

1. Rear site is not readily replaceable (and I hate it), but there are some shops that specialize in minis and have custom products. I was never able to find anything at say Brownells or Midway though.

2. Should not be any problem shooting 5.56; I've shot many thousands through mine with no issue.

3. Scope mounts..........old type was a side mount of which there were a few varieties. I had a B2 on mine for a long time, it was ok, but sat kind of high. Just got a new type from GGG that replaces the front top cover and would be appropriate for a long eye relief scope, Aimpoint or EOtech type sights.

A common problem with the 183 series was the relatively thin barrel would change point of impact as it heated up. This drove me crazy till I found out the cause. Was going to replace it, but didn't. Newer versions of the mini have had many improvements over the years regarding the barrel, sites, scope mounting, etc...

This shop is one of the places that has come up with many upgrades, parts, etc.. I've not dealt with them personally, but have heard positive feedback from others that have.

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php

Good luck!

Regards, Jim

(Erie County)

Since yours is a Ranch Rifle, yes, your rear sight is replaceable (many folks use the M1 Carbine Rear Sight)

Yes, 5.56 ammo will work just fine.

Your receiver is setup to use Ruger factory scope mounts, so you'll have no problem adding a scope to it.

Go to Perfect Union, and they'll answer every question about a Mini-14 you could possibly think of.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

(Lancaster County)

The first three of my serial number are 187. Hope this helps in determining my options.

Thanks
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jim-analog View Post
    Greetings,

Need to know which series you have (first 3 digits of the serial #). Guessing from your manufacture date, could be a 183 which is what I have. It was my first "real" rifle that I purchased somewhere in the early '80s.

1. Rear site is not readily replaceable (and I hate it), but there are some shops that specialize in minis and have custom products. I was never able to find anything at say Brownells or Midway though.

2. Should not be any problem shooting 5.56; I've shot many thousands through mine with no issue.

3. Scope mounts..........old type was a side mount of which there were a few varieties. I had a B2 on mine for a long time, it was ok, but sat kind of high. Just got a new type from GGG that replaces the front top cover and would be appropriate for a long eye relief scope, Aimpoint or EOtech type sights.

A common problem with the 183 series was the relatively thin barrel would change point of impact as it heated up. This drove me crazy till I found out the cause. Was going to replace it, but didn't. Newer versions of the mini have had many improvements over the years regarding the barrel, sites, scope mounting, etc...

This shop is one of the places that has come up with many upgrades, parts, etc.. I've not dealt with them personally, but have heard positive feedback from others that have.

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php

Good luck!

Regards, Jim

(Bucks County)

A little off topic but I'll throw it out there. Even though I do not have a Mini, I have read a bit about them because I wanted one for a long, long time. A lot of people say one the first things to do is add a barrel strut/stabilizer. And especially on the older, pencil barrel varieties. Many claim is really helps tighten up the groups if you're unhappy with them.

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Hi Steve. Yours is a newer version than mine and I don't really have any specific experience with it. Go to the perfect union link another respondent posted above. You should be able to find out more info there. Good luck with your mini!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludedude1992 View Post
    The first three of my serial number are 187. Hope this helps in determining my options.

Thanks
    Steve

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    A lot of people say one the first things to do is add a barrel strut/stabilizer. And especially on the older, pencil barrel varieties. Many claim is really helps tighten up the groups if you're unhappy with them.
    I've found this to be true on my 183 series. Many have found that just adding a flash hider for a bit more weight on those thin barrels helped. Some bedding to stiffen up the receiver and some work on the trigger also helps. +1 on the perfect union site and this guy has some good self help videos on his page:
    http://greatwestgunsmithing.com/mini14.htm
    If interested in an older Mini would recommend checking out the twist rate of the barrel. They varied over the early years.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks all for your replys! You all have been super helpful! I looked into the barrel stabilizers! Looks like there pretty promising. I'm still stuck trying to find scope mounts!

(Erie County)

As far as replacing the rear sight goes, here's the complete instructions for installing an M1 Carbine Rear Sight in your Mini-14 Ranch Rifle.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger...ch-mini-s.html

Also, check out Tech Sights, they make high quality replacement rear sights for the Mini-14's.

http://www.tech-sights.com/
    Last edited by Kiski Cowboy; June 24th, 2013 at 11:23 PM.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment